1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior colors for 06' NOT matching website info

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Paradox, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, a fellow user on here was kind enough to take some pics of his 06's grey fabric seats for me and email them to me. I matched them up with the pic of the 'new' dark grey fabric on Toyota's website. I also sent the pics he sent me to my friend who owns an 04'. Guess what? The 06' has the fabric from the 04'...

So what's up Toyota, using up old inventory and not giving people what you're advertising on your website for this car? I do like the old fabric as well but given a choice I like dark colors and on my black would prefer the dark grey. My car is to be delivered in a few weeks and I hope it has the new dark grey but now I'm guessing it will have the lighter grey as well

Can any other owners of an 06' with grey fabric interior confirm that their car in fact does have the dark grey fabric shown on the prius website?

Here are the 2 pics, you be the judge in the difference.

Attached Files:

2. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

Oh boy...I was wondering about this when my dealer said his code that he showed for my interior was "LE11" (or something like that) and that was a "light Gray".

With a silver car, wonder how that would be?

My only concern really is it showing evrything (dirt, etc.).

hmmmm....I will be having a discussion with them tomorrow I guess.
    He'll also have the VIN tomorrow as well, that should tell more.

Aaron

3. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cameras contain reflected light meters. They measure the amount of light reflected by the materials in the scene and assign it an exposure value or EV. In program mode, they map the EV to an aperture and shutter speed according to heuristics. The camera assumes the scene is 18% reflective, or it reflects 18% of the incident light from the light sources. This works in many situations such as grass and blue sky in sunlight. It does not work well in certain situations such as a polar bear in snow or a hockey puck on coal. In the first case, the picture is under-exposed because the camera tries to make it 18% gray. In the second, the picture is over-exposed for the same reason.

So if you take a picture of a gray scene on automatic or program mode (or even aperture or shutter priority), the camera will lighten a dark-gray scene or darken a light-gray scene until it appears 18% gray. The proper way to expose a scene illumated by ambient light is to put an 18% gray card in the scene, meter off the card only, set the aperture and shutter speed manually, remove the gray card, and shoot the picture. Alternatively, use a handheld incident light meter to get the exposure, then transfer the values to the camera and shoot in manual mode. When using flash, many handheld meters have flash exposure capability.

Yet another way: Take the picture with the 18% gray card in the scene. Then adjust the levels in Photoshop until the gray card is at mid-level (around 128 when the maximum value is 255). When using a digital camera, it's better to do this in RAW mode with linear color values.

4. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

"The human head weighs eight pounds".................(Movie: Jerry Maguire)

Just kidding with you tessar!

Seriously, these are clearly two different colors (and patterns) I might add.

I appreciate the photography lesson though.

With the patterns being different, these have to be two different fabrics or the pics of the "06" are wrong...but don't think they are.

Aaron

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah I agree XLR8. It is obvious that the colors are different, not to mention the pattern within each photos seat is different as well. I realise Tessar that 2 different photos can show different coloring but that, in my opinion, is not the case here.

Your concerns are mine a bit as well XLR8... I like the light grey, it really is nice in person trust me. It's just given the choice I would rather the dark grey they are supposed to be putting in the 06's since it will not show up dirt as much. And where I work I am bound to bring some dirt amongst other stuff in.

6. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nowhere in my post did I say that the two fabrics in the two photos are the same. My post was about how cameras and their meters work, and how to properly meter a scene when color accuracy is important. Can you say for certain that both photographers metered the scenes correctly? If not, how can you say for certain that one fabric is darker than the other fabric and by how much? The only thing that is certain is that the gray in one photograph is darker than the gray in the other photograph. Without knowing how the photographs were produced, conclusions about the shades of the fabrics is speculative at best.

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, I'll rephrase, it is my speculation that the top fabric labeled dark grey by Toyota is a darker grey than the grey in the bottom photo which we know is a light grey as installed in the 04-05 Prius. I do notice that the red on the seatbelt clip is very close in each pic so that 'to me' gives me a bit of an estimate as to how close the two greys are as well. Hey I said 'you be the judge' so to each his own...

8. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 2006 Classic Silver Prius has a gray fabric interior. I took a picture of the interior with existing light. The car is facing south-west at about 11 am. The sky was overcast with direct sunlight at about 10% due to clouds. The camera is handheld, and I was crouched just inside the open front passenger door. Here is some of the EXIF metadata from the Canon EOS 10D:

2005:12:13 11:12:36
    17-40mm @ 17mm
    Subject dist: 0.94m
    1/90 sec, f/5.6
    Mode: Manual
    Metering: Evaluative
    ISO: 400
    AF mode: One-shot AF
    Drive: Single frame shooting
    White balance: Auto
    Flash: Off
    File size: 1,432KB
    Image size: 2048 x 3072
    Color space: sRGB
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Contrast: Normal
    Tone: Normal

I metered off the 18% gray card in the scene just below the lens cap. The fabric in my car is slightly lighter than 18% gray by maybe 1/4 of a stop. If you want to get a good idea of the shade of gray of the fabric in my car, buy a Kodak 18% gray card from a good camera store.

About the picture from another Prius owner: If the fabric in that car is the same color as the one in mine, then that picture is overexposed by about 2/3 to 3/4 of a stop meaning that the gray in the photo is too light.

About the picture from Toyota's Web site: The seat appears to be sitting in a studio (and it is not inside a car). The key light is overhead and to our left: The clue is to look at the shadows. The shade of gray in this picture may be darker due to the direction of the light.

Or perhaps the seat is virtual and the different materials are being synthetically rendered. The clue for this theory is that the partial pleats are nearly identical for the different materials. Look at the shadows as you move your cursor across the thumbnails of the headrests. Move the cursor between the gray and bisque fabrics and look at the enlargements: The diamonds are aligned. It's hard to believe that manufacturing of seats and coverings is so precise.

[attachmentid=1379]

Attached Files:

9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like you have the same light grey interior from the 04-05s as well. So either this is the interior that will really be in all the 06s, only the first few runs till they use their old stock, or their website is incorrect and the new dark grey color/pattern will not really be making it into the 06s.

I too noticed how the pics show the same diamond looking speckles etc when you switch between the bisque and dark grey pics on their site. I'm not really looking though to see what the exact proper color representation is for the new car. I want to hear if other 06 owners have the same light grey/pattern interior found in the 04-05. From seeing your pic and the other it is easy to see that they are in fact not the new interior listed on their site. That can be seen from the pattern not the color.

Thanks for the pic though, it is further evidence that what is shown on their site is not in the 06s yet.

10. tessar

tessar Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Technically, Kodak's 18% gray is known as medium gray or Zone V (Roman numeral 5) in Ansel Adam's Zone System. Since the gray fabric in my car is only a quarter stop above that, it is essentially medium gray.

Medium gray is a good color for making dirt harder to see. If you could mix all the colors in the world, you would get 18% gray. That's why camera meters are calibrated to expect 18% gray. It works well in many situations, but there are a lot of exceptions.

Another reference: THE ZONE SYSTEM. Your monitor needs to be calibrated properly to view this properly.

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, let's get back on topic. There have got to be other new 06' owners out there with the gray fabric interior...

To end this gray bs, let's look at the pattern so the word gray will not be mentioned anymore. Is your 'pattern' in the fabric that of the bottom pic (04-05) or of the top pic (06 according to the prius website)?

12. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

Roger that Paradox!

I would like to see some 06 owners pics of the fabric patterns as well please.

Also, if you look at "kinged"'s pics of his leather, it too is not the leather that Toyota shows.

kinged's leather

There is a discrepancy for sure with the info from Toyota.

Aaron

13. Clar

Clar Member

doesn't matter whether my LCD is calibrated w/ spyder or anything else or not. But I DO like what I see from your picture. I was worrying that 06 CSM comes w/ dark gray as pictured by Toyota's website and planning to get other exterior colors so i can get away from that shade of gray.

Thanx!!!

14. Panther87

Panther87 Junior Member

Yesterday, the 13th, the first 06 showed up here. It is the Barcellona Red with Oak interior. It looked to be a light grey. It looked like the bisque on the ebrochure. 1 more thing, the auto off headlights? They were listed as standard equipment. At least on a #4.

15. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

CONFIRMED!

I just saw a 2006 White Prius on the local dealer lot while servicing our Sienna.

Light Gray fabric interior (04/05 style), NOT the interior fabric that Toyota shows on their website for the 2006 models for sure!

Here are some pics.

(gotta warn ya though, the pics are very low res and taken with my PDA-Samsung i700, so not the best quality but all I had with me.........no adjustments available tessar)

Looks like Toyota MAY be burning through their interior inventory before putting in the new stuff. Or, they have changed back to this fabric for good.
    Kinda suspect the first one.

And if that's true, it's really disappointing that we don't get the new stuff as advertised on their website.

Aaron

Attached Files:

16. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

AND GUESS WHAT ELSE?!?!?!

Just called Toyota.

I spoke with a "Brice" guy.

At first he coudn't understand this whole thing. He thought it was a dealer/sales issue and that I had the right to refuse the car. (I told him that I don't think so).

Then I asked him to dig a little further into this "FE11" code. (he was getting a little testy, not rude mind you, just a little impatient).

He did and after a while came back with this:

The distibution of the Classic Silver Metalic is with the "FE11" code for fabric ONLY. (another code for the leather but just concerned with fabric now)

The Toyota website is missing this little "bit" of info.

So, Classic Silver Metalic Interior ONLY COMES WITH THE "FE11" LIGHT GRAY COLOR (same as the 04/05) as I just witnessed today.

BTW, anyone notice that the leather that "kinged" has is a light gray leather too, nothing like the leather depicted on the Toyota site at all.

kinged's leather

Mystery solved.

Toyota's website is wrong (for the Classic Silver Metalic Interior anyway).

And, we who have ordered it will just have to be happy with that fabric or refuse the deal.

I'm getting my car dang it, light gray or not.

Got my VIN and car will be here MON/TUES of next week
    (barring any weather delays).

Peace out!

Aaron

17. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You da man Aaron! You have more patience than me with Toyota right now, I spent so much time emailing them and calling them getting no satisfaction over 2-3 months I gave up. I'm just taking my car when it comes in I dont care anymore... I called my dealer today as well and he confirmed that my black 06' is listed as having that same code fe11. So even the black prius' for 06' with grey fabric are the same fab as in the 05-06 not the new one listed on their website.

He still doesnt have my full VIN but says that it is still on track ( :rolleyes: ) for Dec 23- Jan 2nd... I'll believe that when the car arrives as well.

18. XLR8

XLR8 New Member

So WOW...what the @*@#? Today I see a white 2006 with the old light gray and pattern, then silver and now black?

Toyota really has a problem here!

Their website is now incorrect on at least 3 exterior colors/interior colors!

FWIW Paradox, I do believe yours with the lighter gray will look really nice against the black...contrast.

Best wishes on your deal and enjoy your Prius dude!

Aaron

19. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Aaron, I think yours will look fine as well. The silver is a bit darker this year right? I think in the end it'll look just fine on the new silver but sounds like we both would have 'preferred' to have the darker material that was touted for the 06's.

I don't think I'd be so bothered if I didn't have a feeling they were using up old stock and halfway thru the model year. or earlier, they'll change to the darker fabric. That would just totally piss me off if they made such a move.

Hey, good luck with you car as well. You're getting yours before me you lucky dog!

20. ThunderJon

ThunderJon New Member

Maybe toyota put the fabric on the seats inside out... reversible seats? Who's gonna try? :lol: