1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior LED Questions..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by alexilic, May 9, 2012.

1. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm ready to change all my interior lights to LED. I have a few questions..

1. I've seen replacement bulbs w/LED and LED panels that have a adapter for socket. Which do you prefer and why?

2. If you go with the panel type, will you see the panels in your dome lights? Does it look nice?

3. Who offers the best quality for good price? Ebay has sooo many, not sure which ones? Some have total kits, some are car specific, etc.. I keep coming across "fyre flys LEDs"

4. Also, I would like to brighten up the interior. It would be nice to have more light. I see some have many LEDs, some half as much.

5. Also, what about the glove compartment?

Any help would be appreciated. I am mechanically inclined and don't mind tinkering. I know the bulb type wold be simpler, but if the panel type is nicer and brighter, I'll invest the time :D

2. PhilWray

PhilWray Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Alex,

Details on my mods here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/106613-door-leds.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/104793-rear-led-boot-install.html

For the rear boot install, just replacing the existing bulb with the panel would give enough light.

You can see the LED panel in the rear "dome" light when off but I dont find it an issue. If you dont want to see this then you should be able to find a fuse style LED fitting that will work but I didnt use them.

The fit for the converter "spring" attachment for the rear dome and boot lights is quite tight.

Hope this helps.

Phil

3. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Phil, it was your post that got me thinking about replacing all the bulbs. We like to go camping and road trips, and having brighter light with less draw is a plus. After a bit more researching, I definitely want brighter then stock. The 12 smd panel for the doors.. can a bigger panel fit? 16? Or does something like this work better... 2x Car Interior Dome 16 SMD LED Festoon Bulb Light 31mm | eBay

As for the boot, I'm going to replace the bulb with the biggest panel, and I also will most likely fit a strip LED somewhere similar to what you have. I'm also looking at how to give light to the center console, glove compartment and maybe change the under hood to a strip as well?? Love customizing to make it personal :D

4. PhilWray

PhilWray Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would measure the size if you can for the above as the unit I used had floating leads and so no problem with the fitting.

I think that the 12 smd is about the maximum that can fit in the existing boot light housing. The rear dome will easily accomodate a bigger panel but I think you need to measure if you intend using the large fuse type that you posted. If I were to replace the vanity lights I think I would go for the fuse type fitting (3/5 smd) as it looks like there is not a lot of space to play with.

Good luck and dont forget to post some pic's!

Phil

5. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The important thing is how bright the leds are. Many leds on ebay advertised as 1 watt are really much less than 1 watt. Most bulbs don't list lumen output, and those that do may or may not be accurate.

I have replaced the map lights and dome light on my tacoma. I also replaced the exterior side marker lights. I also replaced the map lights on my PiP. I just ordered another 4 leds for my PiP license plate lights and side marker lights.

For my PiP map light, and using 5050 led dies, the 5 led die that looks like a cube fits but isn't very bright. The 9 led die that looks like two cubes stacked on top of each other doesn't fit. I ordered a lower profile led bulb for the map light, and used the 9 led die bulb for the side marker light on my tacoma. I also verified that the 9 led bulb fits my PiP front side marker and parking lights. I suspect it will fit my license plate lights.

The ebay lights are usually cheap. I paid $2.79 for 2 of the 9 led die bulbs, with free shipping.

One thing to be aware of is the 'color temperature' of the leds. Most are around 6000 degrees kelvin, which is quite a blueish white light. I prefer something closer to 3000 degrees kelvin, which is known as 'warm white'. Very few led bulbs are available with this color temperature.

The 9 led die bulbs I have are pretty bright; they are rated by the seller at 126 lumes.

Higher power and efficiency leds generally require heatsinking. Cree makes 1-5 watt bulbs that are quite bright and suitable for reverse lights and several can be used to make a headlight. If the ebay bulb looks like a circle with two really small dots inside, and says 1 watt, they are almost certainly lying.