1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior lighting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so I found these things at IKEA. They're round, flat discs with LED bulbs (I think there's 8 tiny ones). They use 12V DC and 0.1A.

The question is, are they good for interior footwell lighting. They're not as bright as the neon tubes (at least the ones on display with a multitude of lightbulbs around it on the same board).

If so, how do I wire them? I think McGraw here with the underbody lighting said something about a 451M solenoid relay in order to synchronize them with the dome lights.

Is it an easy DIYer or would you suggest taking it to FutureShop to have them install it ($50/hr)

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

There are a few threads about fancy lighting. You might have to go to the old site which is now used as an archive though. One poster did use those LED discs to light the drink holder I think. Power was discussed, especially in regards to the flourescent tubes. At that low of a current draw, you could tap directly into the dome lighting without a relay. Note though that the dome is ground controlled, not 12V+ controlled. Also the fade effect of the dome is done by controlling the light voltage gradually. Works great with incandescent bulbs, but LED bulbs aren't as linear to light level versus voltage. Try it and see if you like it. Can't cost much to try.