1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior lights/hatch battery drain....questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by btrotter, Feb 15, 2010.

1. btrotter

btrotter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have noticed that if an interior light in the car is left on overnight, it will usually make it so that the car wont start the next afternoon.
    I put a new 12v battery in the car last year. It just seems like the 12v battery in these cars is really weak. I have also saw people comment about leaving the hatch open will drain the battery, which my wife has done that a good bit.

What I am curious about is, if I pull the light bulb out of the rear interior light, which is the one that usually gets left on (kids turn it on), will that keep the battery from draining because of the light, or are there other electronics in play with it that would make it irrelevant?

Also, is there anything that can be done to have the 12v battery shut off power after so many minutes of the car being turned off?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since it isn't used for cranking the engine, the Prius has a rather small 12V battery. Leaving lights on overnight is not good for any car battery, but it can easily drain the Prius battery.

Pulling the light bulb would remove most of the current draw. Likewise you could leave the switch in the off position.

As for me, I prefer to make sure the lights are out, the doors closed, and the car locked. I assume you find that difficult with kids.

Tom