1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

interior question--gray inside especially

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by orracle, Jul 23, 2007.

1. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the Silver 05 and I put on a dash kit because I really really do not like the way there are kind of 3 colors--a black, a gray and something else that I do not like and would like to cover.

But the lower glove box, the doors and below the wheel are still this icky color. Any suggestions? Would the window tint film work on these surfaces? I'd like to make them black.

2. quixotequest

quixotequest New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Jul 23 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]483595[/snapback]</div>
    I just got a low mileage 05 silver (grey interior) this weekend and I know what you mean. The dash/doors plastic looked cheapy next to what I've been used to in my Passat. (My grandfather, from whom we purchased the car, got a new 07 Prius with the textured doors. While the texture isn't my fave, and the surface feels a fit spongey, it is a slight improvement over the smooth finish of my 05.)

So I hit all the plastic with the Meguiars vinyl and rubber conditioner (#40) which richened up the finish and perceived color, and masked any of the hairline scratches and smudges that smooth glovebox/dash plastic seems to get. Then I hit the glovebox/lower dash plastic (and the same areas on the doors) with Mothers Back to Black which deepend the look a bit more. Then buffed with a soft cloth to even out the luster. Now it has a bit of a blackened bronze look--which while not black--looks much better than when they were untreated.

Now I'll have to see how long the treatments will need to be spaced apart to keep it looking this way. If you find any other solutions, keep us posted.

3. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quixotequest @ Jul 24 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]484002[/snapback]</div>
    Where do you get the "Back to Black"? I read a hint somewhere about "Bumper Black" . I was thinking of trying to put film or tint over those areas.

4. quixotequest

quixotequest New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Jul 24 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]484069[/snapback]</div>
    Just me, perhaps, but I think a film or tint would look worse in that it wouldn't improve the "plasticy" look. Getting the fit perfect would not be possible. It'd be hard enough around the two glovebox buttons, and the steering wheel, but the grooves on the upper door panel would be impossible to fit a film/tint well, I'd wager.

Anyhoo. . . I've used Mothers B-2-B for a lot of years. It's designed for, and works great, for getting exterior rubber guards, bumpers and window trim/pillars back to black. On my Passat and former Audi there was a lot of that on the exterior. On the Prius there's not so much on the exterior, but I did get the rear bumper and window trim black re-blackened nicely.

I get Mothers Back-to-Black at an automotive paint supply shop that also carries the Meguiars and 3M lines and lots of other detailing supplies. An 8 oz bottle (will probably cost $5-7) lasts for a long time. It is a very thin liquid, but a small sponge makes the application go very fast. It can streak when it dries, but a firm hand buff with a soft cloth (I use old T-shirts) or terry towel smooths back out the luster. To be honest I've only used B-2-B on exteriors up till now, as it was intended. On exteriors you'll have to re-apply every 2-4 weeks, depending on weather and temperatures. For the interior I'm guessing it may last a little longer between apps, but I'll have to wait and see.

(I also recommend 3M's imperial hand glaze and swirl remover; the latter is more useful for dark cars, but the former was great to smooth out numerous hairline scrathes that my silver 05 had when I picked it up.)