1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior right turn signal lights up when braking or accel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jlwhite, Jun 13, 2005.

1. jlwhite

jlwhite New Member

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this in their Prii?

When braking or accelerating hard the interior right turn signal on dash gets brighter. The car has always done this since I've owned it and I haven't got it checked out yet by Toyota. Anyone else?

Thanks,

Proud Prius owner. Toronto. 2004 Prius, 33,000km.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get it checked. This is odd.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Why not? your over half way thru your warranty and it's done this since new. I'd have been back on day two and probably yelling at someone.

4. jlwhite

jlwhite New Member

Good point. I just thought it might be a quirk with a new model year vehicle etc and I'd get the run-around by Toyota service. If nobody else has seen this then I'm taking it in ASAP. Thanks!

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I assume you mean braking before engaging in a turn? Otherwise, why would the turn signal be on at all?

6. jlwhite

jlwhite New Member

Re: Interior right turn signal lights up when braking or acc

Nope. Braking or accelerating at any time (without turning) lights up the right interior turn signal on dash only (slightly) (I don't think it affects the actual exterior turn signal and its fairly dim, i.e. during the day its hard to see but at night you can see it rather clearly - its a little distracting actually).

I'm going into the dealership at noon to get the ball rolling on this one.

Thanks and I'll let you know what comes of it. Cheers!

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

OK, took a look at the wiring diagram. The turn signal monitor on the combination meter gets its power from the same source the outside lamps get them: from the flasher relay.
    Sounds like you have a bad ground or possibly a burned bulb. That would explain braking, but not so much for acceleration.

Turn on your hazards and check that all bulbs light. Check that all other lamps in the combination lamp assembly in the rear work.

8. jlwhite

jlwhite New Member

Thanks DanMan2, I'll check it out!

9. jlwhite

jlwhite New Member

DanMan32...Just a follow up....I checked all lights as you said and everything checks out fine. I've scheduled an appointment for next week at my dealership so I'll update from there. Should be a real treat :x Thanks for the help!

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hey i had a car that did that. the right turn signal came on anytime i hit the brakes. it didnt blink or anything. which is kinda funny since one of the brake lights didnt come on when this happened (only happened about 80% of the time)

is it a problem? was for me. the reason it was happening was because of inherited rear end damage that caused intermittent ground problems, which in turn, caused a whole host of electrical peculiarities.

my advise... well you really dont need any.

11. jlwhite

jlwhite New Member

Just a follow up....took the car in to the dealer and just as I expected they said they checked everything and there were no faults and they couldn't explain it. I'm going to get a second opinion.

Thanks everybody for your help so far.

12. stanepstein

stanepstein New Member

My 2 cents worth about this problem. This is usually a signal that a light is out somewhere.

13. c4

c4 Active Member

If all the light bulbs are OK, the next suspect is a bad ground somewhere..

My Corolla's taillights would do all sorts of wierd and wonderful things before finally blowing the 1157 stop light bulb after a while if the ground screw in the taillight assembly ever worked loose (which it often did- the ground point was basically just a screw into a plastic post).. It didn't matter if I put glue or Loctite on the screw, it still kept working loose (actually, I suspect the dealer I used to go to of some shady business as about every other oil change, they'd call me up and offer to change the tail light bulbs, to which I'd always say no, but when I got the car back, sure enough, a tail light appeared to be out, but was fixed as soon as I tightened the ground screw)..