1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interior shaking, rattles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 1balletdancer, Jan 25, 2017.

1. 1balletdancer

1balletdancer New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought my 2013 Prius an year and a half ago. For the first 6 months I loved it. And the I started to notice little rattles. I am very sensitive to these things and it has been driving me nuts. The rattles always move around. I have had vents replaced, I have pull off the entire dash and padded and felt lined it, and tried everything I can think of. For a little while it was better,and now it shakes and rattles again. If I am on any kind of rough road it sounds like everything is going to shake apart. Do I need to replace my tires or get a suspension upgrade? I love the car, but I cant stand how noisy it is. I am outside warranty, and the dealer never really heard the noises anyway. I am nervous about taking it to a mechanic because they will probably just tell me stuff is wrong so they can get $ out of me and then I will still have noise issues.

Anyone have an suggestions?

Thanks. :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

make sure your tires are not over inflated. have you read the rattle threads for advice?

i suppose some michelin energy savers might be softer, what are you running now?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I notice the same thing....in colder weather. It's not a luxury car, it's a bit noisy at times, IMO.
    Quite frankly....Compared to my other car (a 2005 Subaru wagon), the Prius feels like a tin can (Subaru is a solid tank, even at 12 years old). With that being said - I think the Prius is a VERY comfortable compact vehicle....way more so than a Civic, or even other small Toyotas,IMO.....and you're cruising around at 50 +mpg.
    I think the stock suspension is a little bit on the spongy side, but it's all for maximum comfort and drivability.
    I plan on taking the front doors apart this spring, and doing some sound deadening (my Prius has the JBL subwoofers in the doors...).

#3 Jimi1976, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017