1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermediate gasoline survey report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, May 11, 2007.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I've been testing different brands of gasoline available in Huntsville AL and found Shell 87 appears to give 11% higher energy. The intermediate report and thread that led to this conclusion is available here:

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/showpos...mp;postcount=76

Since this is an intermediate report, I didn't want to just cut-and-paste a copy here beyond the graph. There will be a final report after I replace the hydrometer for gasoline density testing. Meanwhile, there is enough data to share:

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

2. Old Marine

Old Marine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Where is Chevron with Techron?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Old Marine @ May 12 2007, 11:44 PM) [snapback]440902[/snapback]</div>
    Chevron and Exxon haven't been tested in this series but will be tested in the next. My plan is to resume testing using a gasoline scale hydrometer. This will allow fast, low cost testing of a wide range of gasolines, including generic brands, in a short time period.

Ultimately, we need a fairly simple, safe and affordable gasoline tester. This would allow folks with access to regional brands like Sunoco, high altitude and ethanol blends to quickly determine what their local product contains and the expected performance. In an ideal world, it would be a feature of our cars. Failing that, I'd prefer to see gasoline energy content listed at the pump or available at the point of sale. Like unit pricing on the grocery stores, this would let consumers make informed purchases.

In my case, a unique combination of a 2003 Prius, NHW11, Graham scanner and data analysis lets my car be a gasoline tester. I don't mind sharing the results but ultimately, I need to use my car for transportation. I've got a little over half a tank of Shell 87 and the trip meter suggests this will be a 600 mile tank while my previous best tank had been 534 miles.

Bob Wilson