1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittant caller ID when stationary

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by scoot, Sep 19, 2007.

1. scoot

scoot Member

Hi -

I have read everything in the forum that includes "caller id" in a search. Having said that, I'll summarize a couple of things:

1. Caller ID Number does not display when car is in motion. This has been stated repeatedly and isn't part of this post except to explicitly exclude it from discussion. By design, thanks Toyota.

2. Caller name as it appears in your phone directory (on the car) does display if the caller ID exactly matches the phone number in the car's phone directory. This works if car is in motion.

I have a strange problem. I have cingular/att and a Nokia 6310i phone. (don't ask why) My phone bounces back and forth between saying ATT and Cingular on the phone display. When calling from a phone that IS in my phone's directory, my phone always displays the name and number of the caller on the phone. When doing the same thing paired with the Prius, it _sometimes_ works and sometimes doesn't. This isn't a "vehicle in motion" issue -- it's stranger than that. If I am stationary in the vehicle then the number appears always. But half of the time the number appears with a "1" followed by area code and number, and half the time it does not include the "1". It seems to only display the NAME (which is what I want because I want the information when the car is in motion) when it has the correct format for the number (either with or without the 1). I don't understand why my phone always gets the name correct and only sometimes seems to send the "1" to the caller ID thing on the Prius.

Any ideas?

I do not have my phone's phonebook loaded into the Prius. I am wondering if I should load the phonebook into the prius TWICE, once with the "1" and once without the "1" just to fool it into always having a match so it will display the caller name while in motion...

Thanks
    Scott

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you're bouncing between the older GSM/TDMA towers and the newer, GSM towers.

When the carrier sends the caller ID, it's doing it in different formats. One the car understands, the other it doesn't.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Sep 19 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]514852[/snapback]</div>
    Gotta love multiple standards.

Tom

4. scoot

scoot Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Sep 19 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]514852[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure. The existing phone supports: GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900. Is there a solution to this in getting a newer phone? I am debating between several Nokia phones (6085, 6126, 6555, and N75).

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Sep 19 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]514874[/snapback]</div>

No, it's not an issue with the band frequency - it's how they're sending the data. AT&T has 3 seperate tower standards right now - The old AT&T TDMA/GSM, Cingular's GSM, and their current AT&T GSM. Some guys just drive around swapping out boards with the current firmware in each tower. A city like LA has hundreds of towers.

Then there's a whole nother' issue of repeaters - most of those are on private property.