1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent Master Warning and Hybrid Failure Issues

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Cella Bella, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Cella Bella

Cella Bella New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aloha,

I am a newbie here. I just bought a 2nd hand Prius off of someone from Craigslist on Sunday. Its a 2006 Prius with 171,000 miles. The car seemed to run fine with no issues on Sunday. I woke up to take it to work on Monday morning and the dash lights where the speedometer is was completely out. The back trunk door was also locked and would not open even though I pressed unlocked from inside the car and from the key fob. I manually unlocked the trunk from the inside then tried unplugging the negative wire from the 12V battery and replacing after 1 and 10 minutes. It did not fix the problem.

The car was still able to run (or so I thought) with the dash lights and trunk not opening so I decided to head to work. I got onto the freeway, was driving for about 10 minutes then noticed I was having to push harder on the gas pedal in order to keep my speed. I was pushing the pedal to the floor and barely rolling on the freeway so I pulled over and threw on my hazard lights. I noticed the Master Warning light on the dash and also the Hybrid System Failure like on the multifunction display. The air conditioner also started blowing hot air at this point as well. I called a tow truck and was towed home.

I charged the battery for about 12 hours. I couldn't figure out how to test the battery before charging. The dash lights were now on and bright and the trunk could open. The car started fine but the Master Warning light and Hybrid System Failure icons were still on.

On the next day, after reading a bunch of different threads, I tried to self-diagnose the battery. I did the MCD/headlight test to check the battery. The battery checked out fine and voltage seemed to be perfectly within range. I went for a drive around the block and everything was good for a few minutes then the Master Warning and Hybrid System Failure lights came back on. Something new this time around was the Brake System light also came on too ( circle with exclamation mark inside and parentheses on outside). I checked my manual brake and it was not engaged. The toyota manual suggests to stop driving car immediately if this light comes on so I pulled back into my drive way. I trurned the car off and on a few times and sometimes the warning icons come on and sometimes it doesn't.

Any thoughts or suggestions on where to start? I tried to call the guy I bought it from on CL but once I mentioned the car was having problems he changed his number. I'm assuming he knew of these issues and just didn't disclose it all to get it off his hands and make a little $$$.

Thank you in advance for any help!

-Celeste

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It really sounds like the 12v battery is going bad. Even though it took a charge, I would consider a new one. Weird things happen when the battery goes bad.

Cella Bella and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    agreed, you need to get a volt meter, or swing by an autoparts store to test it. but you may also have a hybrid battery failure.
    i'm not sure how the car started, when the hatch wouldn't open.
    you might also have a bad combo meter. you can check the inverter pump by looking for movement in the reservoir, and you should have the trouble codes scanned.
    all the best!(y)

Cella Bella likes this.
  4. Cella Bella

Cella Bella New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try replace it as it is the cheapest intervention at this point to salvage what may be left of this car! Mahalo!!

5. Cella Bella

Cella Bella New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your reply! That hybrid battery replacement is my worst nightmare! It's $5000 to replace! I'll look into the other things that you suggested as well. Mahalo!

bisco likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't just replace stuff willy-nilly. Find out if the battery is actually bad first. If it's just the 12V battery, that's not so bad. If the 12V is good and if you can be without the car for a while, I'd get hold of someone who can tell you if you have a legal claim against the seller before putting any money into the car. (Unless you got it for something like $100.)

As for $5,000 to replace the hybrid battery, I know Hawaii is expensive, but that's just crazy.

RCO likes this.