1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent MFD display fixed with cleaning circuit board connection.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by northwichita, Sep 20, 2009.

1. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    -----As this repair attempts have been temporary , refer you to this thread
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...shooting/33923-mfd-issues-04-05-prius-28.html

Edit 4/06/10

My latest fix it lasted several weeks, then screen has started going to slow mode

Edit 3/20/10
    ---The following trial fix lasted several months and hasn't helped others , so I don't consider this helpful .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------End update.

My 04 prius with 158k started having more frequent MFD display problems. For a week, the initial start up would be a problem, i.e. check a/c connection on climate screen, slow screen toggles, no input for energy bars ect. This would last a minute, and then work fine, until about an hour later, when it would relapse, I would know this occurred by the radio changing channels , and screen would go to slow mode for about a minute, then work. I have first noticed this screen problem about 6 months ago, rarely (monthly ?), then recently daily.
    Most of web searches point to Hobbits web writeup describing the solution to be a very small solder repair,
    Prius MFD
    My MFD is the same as the write-up in this link model 47080 non-navigational.
    As my problem was intermittent, I leaned more toward an internal connection problem, thinking a partial break wouldn't last as long with the gravel roads I drive on and I have had problems with the dust in window switches etc. I did read that Hobbit first checked and cleaned connections and used DeOxIt, so I decided to try that.
    I took out the MFD following this site
    Prius MFD Touchscreen Repair
    note the MFD is connected with a wire to the bezel, which is the plastic front, the white wire connection simply pries apart with a small screwdriver .
    Once free, I took the MFD on a table, took off the back cover and side metal cover. There are four screws holding on the back circuit board, plus two small wire bundles connecting the boards which pryed apart at the bases, aside from the main connector which I cleaned . Sorry took no pic's.

I briefly looked for a bad solder point, did not see one, but was impressed by how small everything was. I sprayed the main connection for the two circuit boards with electrical spray from Radio Shack. I bought the best spray they had. DeoxIt/ProGold twin pack. DeoxIT™/ProGold™ Twin Pack - RadioShack.com
    I sprayed on either side of the connection for the two circuit boards, dried, reassembled, and the screen has worked fine on start-up and for the rest of the week.

I do not have much electrical training or familiarity with board circuitry, and am writing this up to show a possible easy fix the MFD display problem , especially the intermittent ones. I wouldn't think cleaning a connection would prevent trade-in for repair if it doesn't fix the problem. Now that the unit is working I regret not taking some photo's, but really don't want to disassemble it while its working well. There is always next time.

Again thank you Hobbit for the inspiration, instructions and pic's to lead me to do this, I had fun and saved some bucks.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dust? Do you not use A/C recirc very much?

3. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm a rural mail carrier, driving over 100 miles of gravel roads a day with the right window down. I blow the dust out the cabin air filter monthly. Dust may have played a role in my MFD problem, I thought of wrapping the unit with plastic, but didn't, because of the heat buildup. I did put some plastic right above the rear wire bundle connector going into the unit. I forgot to mention I did clean that connection first, but had no improvement, so took the MFD apart.
    I looked into electric conductive pastes that would better seal off the connection , but assume they may just cause more problems if I use to much, and most refer to aluminum, which doesn't apply here.

Found a priuschat page further describing dash panel removal (an 08), the more info the better,right?
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/46316-radio-removal-tips-pictures.html

1 person likes this.
  4. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    northwichita, is your MFD still working? let me know, I am having the same intermittent problems and I would like to try your fix this weekend...

5. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did this tonight and my navigation / mfd is now working! The tear down, cleanup, and re-install took under 2 hours. The components are ridicoulously small, I would have had to spend good money for a good soldering iron. The DeoxIT / ProGold kit from radioshack worked great for $15.00!

thanks again!

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wish you the best of luck.
    Keep your fingers crossed.

7. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Three weeks and 2,500 miles later in dusty conditions, my MFD works fine. I usually do have the screen on 'off', but I can tell its not 'acting up' because the radio doesn't change stations at strange times and it turns on when needed. Glad to have helped.

update 10/20/09 mine is still working normally. Reading other posts, everyone else who tried this has had limited success, that is three other people were helped,including fatdawg , then the problem came back for them. Post if you've had success. Will update here from time to time.

11/12/09 Prius is starting to act up again!!!!!!!!! GR.. It works, just on start up it will no work, then will be okay, seems to be a cold and wet-was a rainy day- related function, though this is how it started last time. Probably will try something, retry cleaning maybe. 163 k miles.
    Next two days, nothing wrong, so I'll see how long it works. It is dryer, it acted up on a very humid day.
    12/19/09 MFD has been working great (did not reclean) . Chalk previous problem to rain/moisture.
    2/ 01/10 MFD has been flickering on and off intermittantly, bought a cheap replacement ebay MFD to try to replace. Replacement MFD arrived with noticeable rust. Ugh. Plugged in, it did not even turn on. Opening up , found rust, unit must have been outside.
    2/25/10 Did a simple mod on my own original MFD and no intermittent problems these last 3 days. Will post new fix shortly . 169,000 miles.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...hooting/77256-mfd-fixed-maybe-its-ground.html
    Several week, the above has been working fine. will post on that thread if/when that changes.

1 person likes this.
  8. prius814

prius814 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I seem to be having the same problems you were/are having; however, after two days the MFD is not working at all:( I will likely use your directions to remove mine and since your unit is having issues again, I may buy a replacement on eBay (hope to have better luck than you did). Anyway, I wanted to know if you disconnected the air bags before you started to take everything apart? Thanks

9. Chris Franks

Chris Franks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if my problem is related? Now at 250k miles it happens more often. At startup, no dash panel lights come on except for the check engine light. The '04 runs fine but no speedo, odometer, gas gauge, etc. The MFD has its bars but no computed data is shown except for the 50-watt-hour cars and half cars. After shutting the power off, the next time it may or may not be normal. It is as if the 7.5A fuse is open, but it is not. There is no 12 volts at either end of the fuse.

10. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wow! This is something to look forward to. :)

Also welcome to priuschat! :welcome:

Sorry I don't really have knowledge about your specific problem but I am sure other forum members will have good suggestions for you. In the mean time you can try search the forums. Good luck!

11. lyvisky

lyvisky Junior Member

The MFD on my 2006 Prius (290,000 miles! I am the second owner) is not showing the 30 minute fuel consumption yellow bar graph or little green car Wh regeneration icons. Other than that, it seems to working fine. Should I try to repair/replace it or wait to see if something else stops working?