1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent outlet issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lesk_The_Glut, May 9, 2017.

1. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone
    I recently had a dealer replace my 2006 Prius avap core. A few weeks prior, I had installed a blackvue dash cam. I had driven a few weeks, including a 1,700 mile trip, with no camera issue. 2 days after my trip, I had the evap core replaced. Immediately after getting the car back, I had a problem. My camera was rebooting about every 7 to 15 minutes. This would happen when plugged into either outlet, console or dash, which I believe share a circuit. This was going on for weeks until I installed the camera in my 2007 Dodge Caliber and drove it for a few days, without an issue. I then hooked the camera up to a jumper/power supply and set it next to me for a few days at home. All was perfect. I could not replicate what was happening in the Prius. Back in the Prius, the problem returned.
    If I unplug the cam and quickly plug it back in, nothing happens. It still runs.
    If I unplug it for about 10 seconds, it verbally tells me it's shutting down.
    However, if I unplug it for only a few seconds, it verbally tells me it's restarting when I plug it back in. This is what it does when the issue presents itself. So, the issue must be a loss of power for as long as a few seconds and no more.
    The dealer seems interested in tracking down the issue but can't replicate it. This would obviously be because they don't want to hang out in the car for 10 minutes. I have combed through all available fields in Techstream and cannot find outlet voltage.
    Does this issue sound familiar to anyone? I don't think it would typically have an opportunity to present itself so may not be generally noticed. Is there a way to detect and log drops in outlet voltage? The dealer couldn't think of a way.

Thanks

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty obvious the outlet is bad. Replace it. Replaced my 07 outlet last year. Ridiculously intermittent.

3. Lesk_The_Glut

Lesk_The_Glut Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both outlets, at the same time? I has to deeper than that.