1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent P0420 Check engine - Catalytic Converter replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Raghav, Jul 28, 2024 at 7:41 PM.

1. Raghav

Raghav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am getting check engine light on with P0420 code. It goes away after some time, may be after 4-5 days, but comes back after about a month. Happened 2 times now. Probably it is in the border of going bad. I have inspection coming with a month left. From what I have read so far, I guess catalytic converter is the culprit and needs replacement for a permanent solution. Was looking at ebay, and EPA certified (atleast seller claims so) after market converter is around 50 bucks. Is it good enough? Approx how much will labor cost for the replacement? Any thoughts on cataclean? Does it work?

TIA

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It takes the muffler guy about 30 minutes to weld in whatever you bring him realize it aftermarket catalytic converters are not going to have as much material inside of them that's what the factory deems necessary for the Prius so you may never get the light off or it may go off for a minute and be playing the games is playing with you now If you live in an emissions state then you have to deal with this I don't and I don't.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would get a better cat that has worked for many. A Walker 16337.
    IMG_5813.jpeg IMG_5814.jpeg

There is no way to clean a clogged cat, especially on the car using an additive.