1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent Start, P0AFA, Loose Contact?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by electronaut, Nov 27, 2020.

1. electronaut

electronaut New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello! I have 160k on an '04. From time to time the ready light will pulse a few times, the relays in the back will click, but the vehicle will not go into ready mode. I have messed around with it a little bit but haven't had a good opportunity to open up the battery and dig in.

Possibly related in my case is a P0AFA low voltage fault. HV battery replaced last year with a Cardone remanufactured battery which made it 6 months before I was looking at the triangle again. It is still under warranty, but I want to confirm that the battery is actually the problem first. I just replaced the 12v aux battery (Deka) and am seeing 12.5v without load. I live in a very wet area and noticed that it is never an issue when the air gets somewhat dry, but that may just be coincidence. The infrequency of this make me imagine good contact is not being made somewhere, also I don't get any new codes when I try starting the vehicle with an open HV circuit (disconnect removed). I was wondering if someone who has worked on this sort of thing could tell me if this connection post(?) looks like it ought to. The top connector looks like it may be warped, but I don't see or smell anything that would indicate arcing.

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The disconnect is unlikely to be the problem. I would replace the hv battery. Some have found the battery ecu to voltage monitoring cable to be defective but you would be better off exercising your warranty.