1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent triangle and now no starty plus bonus dash lights!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chopz, May 14, 2019.

1. chopz

chopz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    05 prius, 200k miles.
    2016: replaced HV battery, brand new one under warranty
    2017: replaced 12v battery
    last 2 weeks: occasional momentary red triangle
    today: failure to start at all, with basically all the dash lights lit up, I'll attach a photo.

-Maintenance mode says the 12v battery is 11.7v
    -AAA guy failed to get it started with his magic battery booster,
    -AAA battery tester said the battery was low but not actually screwed
    -OBD reader produced no fault codes at all, inexplicably

Does any of this sound familiar to you guys? Thanks for looking, yo.

edit: balls, this probably belongs in the troubleshooting area

Love,
    Chopz

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    We may share different definitions for the word "new", please expound upon your HV battery replacement and warranty.
    How many hours do you drive this vehicle per week?
    Have you checked all of the fluids lately, especially the engine oil.
    Which OBD2 reader are you using, as many aren't compatible with Toyota hybrids.
    There is a "report" button right below you post on the left, hit it and ask a mod to move the thread to the appropriate sub.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. chopz

chopz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a brrand new factory Toyota battery, allegedly, according to my mechanic.

4 or 5 hours or so.

Funny you would ask, the engine oil was a little low and I topped it off the morning of the day it stopped running.

It's admittedly a cheap chinese one, although it did correctly diagnose a catalyzer issue a few months ago, for what it's worth. It's a KITBEST bluetooth one.

ah, solid advice, will try.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you get a toyota battery warranty on an 11 year old car with 160,000 miles?

exstudent likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put a voltmeter on the 12v after it has been off a few hours, i don't trust triple a 'guys'.

4 or 5 hours a week will not keep the 12v charged

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your reader probably isn't capable of reading prius codes.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would surmise the intermittent triangle was low oil pressure.

4 or 5 hours a week will not keep the 12v charged

my commute is 26 minutes in the morning and about 40 in the evening, 5 days a week. All other normal daily/weekly errands are done with my wife in her Santa Fe. I would say 5 hours and 30 minutes per week gets it done, as I've never had any 12v issues. Sigh, but now I'm depressed, realizing I spend 5.5 hours a week on my butt, in the car just going to and from work.................

Just off the top of my head, the lights that are lit on your dash reminds me of what a dash looks like the first time powering up the car after disconnecting 12v power and reconnecting it. Try it sometime. Disconnect 12v, wait a minute, reconnect it. Then put foot on brake and press power button one time. You'll see all those lights. Press it again and they'll clear.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should ask, especially if you handed over a fist full of cash. The chances of a New OEM battery going in 3 years is fairly low.

Was the HV fan cleaned up during the replacement?

That should be enough to keep it going. Do you run all of the 12v stuff often, defrost, heater, headlights, seat massage, 1000 watt amp?

Is it possible that you over filled the engine with oil, that has been known to cause problems.

Most likely it is fine, what App are you using to scan with?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry man/woman. You did NOT receive a NEW OEM Toyota HV Battery warranty replacement.
    Here's why:
    1) The original HV Battery warranty likely expired sometime in 2015 (2005 model year + 10 years). Even if the car had under 150,000miles in 2016, the warranty expired.
    2) Your use of the word "mechanic," implies an auto repair shop/person that is NOT a Toyota dealer.
    3) For arguments sake, lets pretend that the original HV Battery was replaced under warranty in 2015. This replacement would have been performed at a Toyota dealer, and would be covered with a 3yr/unlimited mile warranty from Toyota (2015 + 3years = 2018 warranty expiration). In 2016, the OEM warranty replacement suffered a RARE failure (lotto like odds IMO, but possible none the less). This would constitute a warranty claim and replacement, at a Toyota dealer, NOT a "mechanic."​

I will go out on a limb and speculate the car would not start b/c the HV battery died. The 12V battery reading of 11.7 (assuming a no load reading) was likely sufficient enough to power the various ECUs, to get to READY (essentially start the car). Even w/ the AAA jump attempt, the car would NOT start (get to READY). Get the codes read to confirm/deny my speculation.

Is my inverter coolant pump slowly failing? | PriusChat
    Read Post #5, how to apply a load for a more meaningful measurement of 12V battery health.
    Read Post #8, Battery SOC (State of Charge) chart and 12V AGM compatible smart chargers to consider buying.​

Thus the problem w/ the Bluetooth OBD2 readers: can NOT READ ALL CODES. If you want to be able to read ALL codes and do maintenance (bleed barkes, crank the engine, activate CHRS pump, etc), it is in your best interest to get "mini VCI" w/ Techstream from Amazon ($25+). You will get an imitation USB cable and a hacked copy of the Techstream software. Techstream is the official software made for Toyota/Lexus, and used at all the Toyota/Lexus dealers. Install is easiest on a 32bit OS Windows laptop. If you don't have one, ask friends/family if they know someone in IT. This person will likely have some laying around, and might be able to donate to you. Mac install possible, just search. This laptop should only be used for Toyota/Lexus diagnosis purposes. No email, banking, etc, out of security concern.

If you want to reduce unnecessary wear/tear on gasoline/diesel engines, check the engine oil REGULARY! There are many postings from owners wondering about intermittent lights showing-up when they brake hard or take a turn hard. This happens b/c of insufficient oil level, producing NO oil pressure or low oil pressure. If you check it with some regularity (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, every gas fill-up), the more frequent the better, you won't have this problem. Maybe just check every Satruday before leaving the house.

You will find it easiest to check after the car has sat overnight. Checking immediately or shortly after it has just been driven, will not be as accurate and its hard to read the dip stick. Ideally, check the oil level when the car is on flat level ground; a large enough tilt (driveway/street) will give an incorrect reading.

Try to keep the oil level near the top dimple mark at all times. NEVER let the oil level fall below the bottom dimple mark. DON'T overfill the oil. This is a worse case outcome of an overfill: Another Walmart oil overfill, Toyota is hinting at new ICE | PriusChat