1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intermittent trouble with electronic "key"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HappyDriverInPA, Mar 9, 2009.

1. HappyDriverInPA

HappyDriverInPA New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The neat little remote unlocking and locking key thing I have has started to not work from time to time. I'll press the unlock button and nothing will happen, or I will get out of the car and press the lock and nothing will happen.

Tonight, the "alarm" started going off while we were upstairs in the house... like I had pressed the panic button on the "key". It shut off when I went downstairs and pressed unlock.

Anyway, it's happening very rarely... but it is of some concern to me. I would hate to not be able to get into the car when it came time to drive home from school.

Theories? Should I get the "key" replaced? Are there batteries that just need replacing? Is it a larger electronic problem?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Definitely try replacing the remote battery. It should be nearly dead at this point anyway.

Illustrated instructions are in the Iconic User-Guide, in the "FOB Battery" section. Replacement cost is about $3.50

Watch closely where you place your thumb. In the middle, pushing the cover off is really difficult. Near the back, it slides off with little effort.