1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

intermittent vrooming

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by paulagoodfellow, Nov 8, 2007.

1. paulagoodfellow

paulagoodfellow Junior Member

I was at a stop light in my new 2008 Prius. Totally stopped, with my foot on the brake. The car started making vrooming noises, sort of like the gas motor coming on. They lasted for about 3 seconds each, with a second or two in between. This happened a few times before the light changed, and stopped when I started driving. I had about 1000 miles on the Prius then, and have driven another 100 miles since, without it happening again. Anyone know what that was?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What was your state of charge (SOC)? If the battery has a very high SOC, the control system will spin the engine without gas to burn off some of the extra charge. By any chance had you just descended a big hill?

Tom

3. paulagoodfellow

paulagoodfellow Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Nov 8 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]537066[/snapback]</div>
    I had just descended a big hill, and I'll bet you're right. I didn't have the screen so that I could see the SOC, and had to start up again before I managed to get to it. Thank you-- Paula