1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

International Harvester CXT monster!!!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by alanhu99, Apr 8, 2005.

1. alanhu99

alanhu99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was walking my dog in the neighborhood one early morning this week and was stunned to see a monstrous SUV in someone's driveway. It was almost as tall as his (or her) one-story house and looked like a semi tractor with a little-bitty pickup bed on it. Lo and behold, it was the International Harvester CXT (see mug-shot below). I had read about this monster, but can't believe that someone would actually go out and get one. 9 ft tall, 21 ft long, weighs 26,000 lbs, gets all of 6 mpg on diesel, and costs $115,000.

Now, why didn't I think of getting this practical little vehicle for my errands around town. Sheesh!

I ran home right after this traumatic experience and gave our seven week old Tideland Prius a great big hug :)

2. olends

olends New Member

you should drive down and get a picture of the cars together.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, some people buy those things to tow giant 5th wheel campers that would almost squash a 1 ton pickup truck.

The phrase "more money than brains" comes to mind, but I do believe that's an oxymoron.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've seen them used as work trucks with a large 5th wheel work trailer in tow and 5 guys in the cab and they weren't on holidays.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank:

Good point. Manitoba Hydro has a few around here. The 5th wheel flatbed trailer usually has a backhoe or long poles on it.

Jay

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I came out of a restaurant to find a Hummer parked next to me. I laughed so hard! I would have thought hed be too embarassed to park next to such obviously superior technology and efficiency! ;-)

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember some people tow stuff with that. I heard the price tag was $75K+ so not sure someone would pay for that just to drive around town.

Now the Hummer is a diffferent story. To me that is a waste, but to each his own. BTW, the military are using hybrid HMMWVs. It is estimated that it costs abotu $100/gal to get fuel to the soldiers. Not to mention the hybrid in elec mode is good for noise discipline.

I think they should start the freebates that were talked about in the Oil Engame book. Prius owners with high MPG would get a $2000 rebate and Hummer owners would pay $4000 extra to have the gas guzzler.

8. alanhu99

alanhu99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The charitable part of me tried to rationalize that this was a work truck, but it was way too "pretty" - no working gear, no commercial plates, no business signage. And, it was 7am when I saw it in his/her driveway, not exactly work time. It looked very much like a status symbol/ macho toy.

Oh well, I'll climb down from my soapbox now that I've had a chance to vent.

9. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

10. Frank Hudon

hey if you got it flaunt it. When he's 65 and flat broke don't come crying for a hand out. Just ain't gonna be there.

11. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yep prob a toy if there is no 5th wheel or at least a heavy tow hitch.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"79724)</div>
    Frank:

Well said!

Jay

13. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alanhu99\";p=\"79588)</div>
    I am reminded of the line from Shrek: "Do you think he's compensating for something?" If you weren't already a damned fool, you'd certainly have to feel like one driving around in a beast like that (same goes for the Hummer).

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i know a guy who might wish that he had one. he has a 4 horse trailer that he pulls on occasion full and he is always complaining he doesnt have the power to get to eastern wa with his GMC he's got now.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sure, that would be a legitimate use. Quite a few folks out there - such as farmers and construction co's - have moved from "light duty" one ton trucks to Medium Duty trucks.

If you're always at the maximum GCWR, the Medium Duty truck will last a lot longer while getting the same fuel economy (4-7 MPG) as the "light duty" one ton.

If you can keep a Medium Duty on the road for a decade instead of junking a one ton truck every 3-4 years, you're money ahead then.

But if you need to "compensate" for something and drive around in this expensive monster as a daily driver, well ... don't complain to me or anybody else about what it costs to fill the tank.

16. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  17. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"80149)</div>
    I don't know where you guys come up with some of your fuel economy guesses. I used to drive class 8 trucks, and could get 7 mpg out of a 14 liter engine pulling max gross weight. Even when pulling 120,000 pound loads (special permits required), I could still see 4.5 to 5 mpg, running I-80 in Wyoming.

Realistically, I'd expect to see 10 to 12 mpg towing, and mid teens empty out of this truck.

18. Frank Hudon

hey Wolfie wanna bet this things got an Allison auto in it. Cut 3 off the top for that. Not a lot of city folks can deal with a 5n2 or a 13 speed Road Ranger.

19. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That 6 speed allison is a very different animal from the old 4 speed monstrosity. Irregardless, this thing weighs about 70,000 pounds less, and has about 1/3 the size of a hole in the air to punch going down the road.

20. Frank Hudon

for sure the 6 is way better for mileage, but we have had lots of grief with them. Mostly exteral sensor and relay problems and a s**t load of computer problems.