1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

internet radio to 3G to cell phone to Prius stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ystasino, Nov 20, 2009.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I want to stream live internet radio via a 3G connection to a Nokia N900, or a Motorola Droid and then via bluetooth 2.0 to the 07 Prius #2 stereo speakers while driving at around 65 mph.

Assuming that the phone is compatible with bluetooth, my earlier Nokia is, and assuming that a 3G connection is not a problem, in fact I am told that low quality MP3 can be transferred even at 2G speeds, I am being advised to check whether the buffer of the MP3 player is large enough for this to happen. Some say that other cars behind you get to listen to what you play at really high speeds.

Thoughts or experiences? What speeds will this work at?

Thanks,

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I can stream Pandora over my iPhone as long as I'm getting at least EDGE network. 3G is better of course but EDGE seems to work fine. I don't have BT in the car tho (package 2 like you) so I just play the iPhone over the DICE. With a BT enabled aftermarket head unit you could stream over BT but I've never seen it in operation. Since we have many iPods in the family and just my single iPhone, we need a wired connection anyway.

- D

3. kroser

kroser New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Up through 2009, you can't play music from your phone to the car stereo via Bluetooth. I believe the 2010 cars allow this.

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's for the stock BT right? With an aftermarket stereo it's supposed to work. Quoted from Alpine, for example:

++++
    Listen to songs stored on select phones through your Alpine sound system with Streaming Audio support (A2DP or AVRCP). You can even get on-screen song info, play/pause, and track up/down functions on select AVRCP enabled phones.

A2DP allows you to listen to the music from your cell phone and displays basic song information on-screen, such as title and artist.

AVRCP allows you to listen to the music from your cell phone with basic control such as play/pause and track up/down of the music on your cell phone.
    ++++

- D