1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intro: Hello from Dallas, Texas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brentmeister, Jun 27, 2007.

1. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello Prius Owners;

I hope to join your ranks in the late summer early fall. I have been researching and considering the prius for about a year and the time will be right ($$) in the later summer/early fall.

I am worried about the whole car buying process since I've had such bad experiences in the past. Considering the advice on this forum (as well as edumnds), I plan to shop via the internet and proceed with the best offers. If anyone is in the DFW area and can make suggestions regarding dealership/dealerships either to consider or stay away from, please feel free to send me a message.

I am a little concerned because all of our cars in Texas come from Gulf States Toyota that places a 'vehicle shield package' on all the vehicles at the port, to the tune of about $1,000. But what can I do about it...?

Anyhow - I am 42, live in a suburb of Dallas and drive 22 miles each way five days per week. I am also a reservist and at least once per month I have a 260 mile round trip to the base where I drill. My daily commute is 70% highway and 30% city, but the highway is often sub-65MPH if not stop-n-go. I have put a lot of thought into this decision and considered all the pure-gas econo-boxes (civic, corolla...) and the Prius seems as though it will give me the best of both worlds (MPG and something more than an econobox).

If you all have any advice, warnings or other information - I am all ears. I am humble and gladly accept and consider all advice. As the time draws closer for my purchase, I am sure that I'll have additional questions - please be patient and gentle with me. I am a teacher and on my salary, every penny counts!

Thanks in advance-
    Brent in Dallas

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Hi Brent, welcome to Priuschat.

I am not in the DFW area, but if you want to avoid that dealer prep stuff, try to buy from out of your state and fly in and drive home, here is the opposite : My Sister in-law did that she is from Witchita ,KS Active Airforce she flew out to Texas and then drove home in her new car, ( not a prius) after she has been seeing our mileage when we drive out to visit, she is pissed that they did not get a prius. So shop the net, do your test drives locally then arrange to go out and drive home the PRIUS OF YOUR DREAMS.

3. wbuttler

wbuttler New Member

welcome
    alot of prius knowledge here
    enjoy

froley

4. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jun 27 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]468805[/snapback]</div>
    Priussoris-

Thanks for the very valuable information. Since news cars must be titled/licensed, do you have to pay for the state in which you buy and then re-register in the state that you live? I have not considered the logistics of buying out of state...
    BH

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

No you only pay for taxes and title for the state you reside in is what I was told , So you might even save on taxes :)

6. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC. What color(s) are you considering? Hope you will have a good experience buying the car.

7. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Jun 27 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]468843[/snapback]</div>
    Since I live in Dallas TEXAS where it regularly pings 100'F from MAY-OCTOBER, I will be going with a light color (probably the silver since I've had good luck with it in the past) and the dark gray interior. I like the tan color, and although it says it comes with the gray interior - i've not been able to locate one.

Thanks-
    Brent

8. Xabiche

Xabiche New Member

The vehicle shield package is $349. The extra mile packages are $1k+.

Texas state tax is 6.25% and that's what you'll pay... no local taxes.

Currently, Tourings are hard to come by so they're going for msrp. But, standard Prius are plenty available and you should be able to get one for invoice.

9. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xabiche @ Jun 27 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]468849[/snapback]</div>

Xabiche-

I'm not interested in a touring, so that's a dead issue. The invoice on the shield package is 349, but the msrp is closer to a grand - that's what I was referring to. I'm glad to hear that the cars can be found for invoice, that gives me some hope, if I can only find one without the kitchen sink atttached ;)

10. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

I bought mine at Patt Lobb in McKinney. Very nice dealership. Toyota of Richardson is a good place, too.

I would recommend you shop each dealer against each other and only contact their Internet Manager by email or online. Collect your best prices and go with the best deal. If you get the lowest price available, the Gulf States add-ons are irrelevant. They will obviously be pruned to earn your business with the lowest price.

Do not even think of discussing a trade-in until you have a price. Tell them you don't have a trade-in.

Make sure the price/vehicle they're quoting is an in-stock vehicle. Don't let them tell you it's "available". All that means is you'll pay more because they'll have to negotiate it out of the hands of another dealer.

Show up with a blank check from your bank and your own interest rate - do not allow them to make up for a low price or good trade value by increasing your APR. Let them compete with your bank for your business. They will almost always beat your bank's APR to finance you.

REMEMBER THE CARDINAL RULE: If they get you discussing payment vs. price, you've already lost. Might as well bend over at that point.

11. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ Jun 27 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]468857[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks very much for all the valuable information LesGas! I'll definately be shopping via internet/email.

I've bought several cars and wholeheartedly agree with your cardinal rule regarding payment vs. price and not disclosing any other dicounts or trade-ins until I have a firm price on a vehichle that is sitting on the lot. My 1998 Pathfinder is only worth about 4K, and several of the day-laborers near my place of work have indicated they will pay cash when I'm ready to sell. I'm not all that excited ablut selling to them, because I'll be forced to handle the title transfer paperwork (if you know what I mean).

Thanks again-
    BH

12. gmlawrence

gmlawrence New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brentmeister @ Jun 27 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]468869[/snapback]</div>

I just bought a Metallic Gray 2007 Prius last Friday (June 22) at Classic Toyota in Round Rock, TX. It had the Extra Mile package and the Package #2. We did go into the selling process telling them we had a trade but we had a special circumstance with the trade in. We got really no negotiations on price since as we were looking at mine someone else was eyeing it too. We were told whatever is left on the lots is all the 2007's they have. Not sure how true that is. We did have them give us a better rate on the car than our bank USAA. The total of the car came to 24,600. They tried to sell us the extended warranty but would not budge on the price of it so we declined. We really had a good experience with the salesman who also was a College professor and selling cars was his summer job. Will Boroski is his name if you consider looking into dealing with someone in Round Rock.

We have had the car for a less than week and it has been an awesome experience. I have also been contacted 3 times by our dealership to make sure we are enjoying the car and that we had a good customer experience.

I am impressed. :)

I hope your finding of your Prius goes well.

13. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    See the Forum on this site ....Dealers and Pricing.

From my experience...go internet..get a quote...then visit...and deal.

They can tell you what is available. Know exactly what you want(and what you need) before you comitt.

I bought a Classic Silver with Package #2, which fits my needs very well.

Cheers !!!

14. greentea39

greentea39 New Member

I just bought my Prii yesterday after waiting for 2 months. Yes, I did the preference-order back in May.
    Since all the car in this area had lots of add-ons, I decided to order the car with the package, colour and options I chose. I negotiated the price in May when there were lots more Prii on the dealer's lot so I got a good deal. (In fact, they refused to sell me this car once yesterday when I went to pick up the car because now they can sell the same car for more money. Some dealer told me now they can sell the Prius $500 above the MSRP)

I recommend you to wait to buy the Prius until fall since there are much less car on the lot now in this area.
    Silver one only comes with the grey interior. (That was another reason, I ordered my car because I liked the beige interior) Silver Pine Mica comes with both beige and grey interior.

I waited for a long time but it was worth waiting. I love it!! :lol:

Good luck!!

15. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat. I am down at Fort Hood. If you can keep the daily commute to the suburbs (avg of 35-45 mph) then you can get great mileage. I drive about 15 miles one way every day and getting about 70+ mpg (on mile 620 with 2/10 bars left on the gas gauge).

16. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xabiche @ Jun 27 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]468849[/snapback]</div>
    I was told that if you ask at Classic Toyota in Round Rock to not have the GST extra "GORP" added they would get you a Prius that way.... I would get that in writting. I went out of state (Carson Ca) just because of the "Value Pkg" I had my Vin so I was able to get my ins to give me a card... I had to pay the Ca Temp car tag and drove it home to Austin (1,300 miles)

Now getting one without the pkg will mean ordering and a longer wait..

I would hit the internet and check out the dealerships in New Mexico, Ok, you just might find what you are looking for...

Oh, and welcome to the "Chat"

17. s.e.tx_parrothead

s.e.tx_parrothead New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome!!!! I know that you are looking in the Metromess, but don't forget to look at some of the smaller dealers in East Texas. I bought Maggie from Loving Toyota in Lufkin and I have been really impressed with them...from the initial cliffdive of putting my name on the wish list to the service I get when I go in for oil change. I drive 90 miles round trip everyday to Huntsville and with the hills I average around 48 mpg at about 70 mph. (Have a lead foot, that has lightened some!) PC is where I did 99% of my research, where I found solace after Maggie got smushed in March and when I just want to keep up with what is going on. I hope you enjoy this place as much as the rest of us!!!

P.S. -- Might look at Tyler too!!!

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brentmeister @ Jun 27 2007, 11:08 AM) [snapback]468846[/snapback]</div>
    I believe the Driftwood Pearl is the only one that doesn't come with a gray interior, ivory only.

19. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carrie @ Jun 27 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]469142[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Carrie-
    Thanks for the note. I did some extensive checking yesterday and it appears from my research that there are plenty of Prius' in the metroplex. I found well over one hundred of the base models and I found about a dozen of the silver, equipped similar to what I am looking. I was also able to find out that most all the DFW dealerships are expecting one more shipment of 2007 prius'. Unfortunately I am still about three months from being ready to pull the trigger. That will put me in the August/Sept timeframe and the dillema will be to deal on an '07 or go with an '08.... Decisions - decisions...

I heard through the grapevine that a lady in another department just got a prius last weekend, so I paid her a visit over lunch. She said her husband worked the deal over the internet and paid $100 over invoice. She offered to bring the paperwork in so that I could have a look on Monday - so we'll see if my invoice and their invoice are the same. ;)

Thanks again and please keep all the information coming.

20. greentea39

greentea39 New Member

You will most likely see the same invoice if you go to the dealerships in this area since they are pulling it
    out from the same source. (I was told by them when I was shopping around and that was true) I only communicated with the internet department. The thing is what they call of "invoice" is not the actual invoice price. Their invoice price included all the ad fee, whole sale floor fee or whatever they call it.

I'd think that the silver cars are not hard to find because it's the most popular colour. Mine was not very easy to find so I ordered. Yes, you see well over one hundreds Prius in the area now but this is all spread in more than 10 dealerships in Dallas/FW area. In April, there were about 450 or more Prii in the inventory lists. Sounds you are thinking about buying it in three months, and I don't think you should make decisions now. Take your time. Keep doing your research. And remember, Toyota is increasing the production of Prius.