1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intro thread

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by 2011RedPrius, Feb 27, 2017.

1. 2011RedPrius

2011RedPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good morning all. I picked up my (new to me) 2011 Red Prius Three. It has 86K miles on it and seems to be in very good shape. It has a clean carfax report. Filled it up this morning, reset trip A, and drove to work. It was very enjoyable to see the average MPG in the fifties. Right now I am scouring the forums to load up on knowledge and reading the owner's manual. There is a ton of information that is new to me, coming from a 2006 Civic MT. I look forward to educating myself on my Prius.

Thanks,
    rp

RCO and bisco like this.
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings and welcome aboard!!!!!

Lots of info on this site.
    Some of it is even accurate.

While you're doing the WIN-WIN thing with your Prius (What is Normal.....What is not) try to avoid the very natural urge to "drive it like a Prius."
    The best part of Priusdom is that you can get extraordinary mileage while driving it like an ordinary car!!
    That's sorta the whole point.

There's a web site that you can use to determine what maintenance has been done by the dealer. Since you're only at 80K there won't be much there (hopefully.) If I were a better poster, I'd have it memorized.....but I don't/

Make sure your tires are fully inflated......
    Check your oil level about every other fill-up to make sure that your volume stays OK.....
    Familiarize yourself with the maintenance schedule, and ONLY pay for the items on that list unless there's a very compelling reason - and get a second opinion.....with one exception (see below).....
    Read up on and consider a transaxle fluid change, which should not be more than about 150 bucks.

Finally....and MOST importantly.....

Enjoy the car!

Good Luck!

RCO likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Oh.....and one of the better parts of driving a Prius is that there are owners, Like JimboPalmer there, who are eager to share knowledge and experience.

RCO likes this.
  5. 2011RedPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you both. I had signed up for the toyota account on Friday. I noticed that under service records it says "This section is currently undergoing maintenance. Please try again later." I assume this is a temp problem. I will keep checking back to see if it starts working.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)

8. 2011RedPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I know it is only a start, but according to the screen I averaged 56.9 MPG yesterday. I was very happy.

RCO and bisco like this.
  9. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Only a start? That's awesome
    You won't save much money by trying for higher, so enjoy the immense savings you've already got. It's awesome.

RCO likes this.
  10. 2011RedPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. I meant a start from the aspect of only one trip to work. It is "down" to 53.4 MPG, as of this morning. I am very happy with it. It has been a week and I did not have to visit the gas pump. Saving time as well as money is an awesome thing.

rp

11. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ah, got it.

My strong suggestion for new owners is:

1. If you have a sudden drop in average MPG, that can indicate you need to replace the 12v battery (or other problems, too, I would think, but the 12v is the classic).
    Therefore, it's good to monitor average MPG, FOR SURE.

I do it casually, but some people use fuelly.com, or spreadsheet, etc.

Know that: Short trips, trips with inclines (especially net up or down for the entire trip, but also areas with lots of little up and down hills like we have in ohio) and cold weather / lots of hvac use can impact MPG by 5-15 mpg. So, on a great day, or if I've grill blocked perfectly, the display can read 52 mpg (that's actually 49mpg, since the display is wrong, but...whatever). So, nominally, 52.
    Whereas, on a short trip, hilly, cold day, no grill blocking, etc, I've seen 28. More commonly, like 35 mpg.

The point is, you need apples to apples comparisons.

One easy method is:

1. Look at MPG after your trips until you get a sense of it.
    2. Then if you see it drop for unknown reason, dig deeper of course. I recommend: ignore short trips, focus more on comparing a known quantity (such as: commute to work), or your basic 20 mile drive somewhere. If those trips are changing, dig deeper.
    Also: remember that trip to work is DIFFERENT than trip back. one will have the more favorable elevation change and 2-4mpg better or something like that.

Change in the weather is a classic reason for mpg change.

RCO and 2011RedPrius like this.
  12. 2011RedPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PNB,
    Thank you for taking the time to write that. It is all good info.

rp

RCO, PriusNeckBeard and Prodigyplace like this.