1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

introduce myself and questions on OBD2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bluepanda, Dec 11, 2007.

1. bluepanda

bluepanda New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hi everyone,

i'm new to this forum. today, my wife and i bought a package #2 in spectra blue and became proud prius owners! the car is awesome. and the new color looks great, especially under the sun. i'll post some pictures tomorrow.

being a EE student in hardware, i'm trying to build a device myself that can read vehicle information form the service port. i have some questions about the OBD2. what is each pin for? how to decode the information coming out of the port, e.g. speed, rpm, etc. is the data coming out of the port a serial data? is there a protocol to decode it? what kind of hardware should be used to decode the data, e.g. microcontrollers?

many thanks!

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to PC and congrats on your new Spectra Blue!

I don't know the particulars on OBD2, but a search on the site (or Google) will give you much information. There are plenty of EEs who'll love to give you direction!

Are you already familiar with the Scan Gauge tool? Many PC members use Scan Gauge to get data directly from the cable (as you hope to do).

Well, it is all a bit beyond me -- but not beyond a large percent of the other members of PriusChat.

Enjoy!!

3. bluepanda

bluepanda New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius