1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introduce myself- should have done this a while ago

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by benalexe, Sep 21, 2012.

1. benalexe

benalexe Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi. I have been here about two weeks. I have posted a lot but never formerly introduced myself.

I am in ny. Crrently we have two cars in my family. A leased 2011 Honda pilot and a loaded 2005 Toyota Avalon that I almost own. The Avalon has 85,000 on it.

Also we have 3 kids. We do spit the driving between the 2 cars but when we go on long trips. (More than 3 hrs. It is always the pilot we are in. ) kids are 14,11, and 8.

I am not a environmentalists but I AMA green guy when it comes to saving money, I also have a 10 kilowatt solar electric system on my house. Save a ton on electric bill

I am a gadget guy. Love technology

Back In 2006 I purchased the Avalon used for about 26k. I car had every imaginable option. Laser cruise, GPS, I installed after market Bluetooth and iPod connector, it is big comfortable fast and nice to drive, It gets about 18 mgo city and 27 highway. My commute to work is only 3 miles but I used the car throughout the day and see cliens as well so I do about 12,000 to 15,000 miks a year. The plane when I purchased the car was to drive it into the ground. Having said that I was extremely impressed with the Prius years ago when gas prices started to rise.

Last week out of curiosity I went to a Toyota dealer to look at the Prius and get an appraisal on my car. The dealer offered me $10,000 for the Avalon. Which I thought was great since the car is 8 years old. In addition the pip has 0% financing for 60 months, $2,000 cash back from Toyota, In addition, The fed will give me 2,500 tax rebates and the local power company 500. So. Thr all eqols $5,000 off the price of the car plus free money for 60 months. This got me very very intrigued.

I found this board and tarted posting. Some will say I am negative on the Prius in my questions or posts. I am not but trying to determine if I should stick with my original plan and keep the Avalon or purchase a new pip.

I love the Avalon
    It is luxerious, comfortable, fast, Equipped, laser cruise, leather etc, It is also big and comfortable for the family on day trips. Not so good on gas compared to the Prius

But... The car at 85k will never be worth 10k again. It needs tires, and who else knows what else.

A new Prius would cost me almost nothing in gas. However, it is smaller , not as fast or as comfortable, and does not have the creature comforts I love, I addition just when the a Avalon is almost paid off I need to take on another 5 yars.

I have been using this site to weigh the risks vs rewards, thanks for all of your help. Not trying to be negative on the pip. Just trying to convince myself if this is a good deal To switch and if I will be happy.

Thank you everyone for the education and support.

John Hatchett likes this.
  2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think about what the 14 year old will be driving in 2 years as part of the plan. Also, consider that when they are 16, you or your spouse, can exit the taxi business and transition the 16, 13, and 10 year old into a car pool. That is what I did with the Prius as soon as the first teen driver got past 6 months of driving experience.

Putting them into a PEV is appealing. Limiting their driving range, not having to give them gas money every week, and knowing the car is plugged in every night (i.e. teens are safe at home) are rewards beyond the gas pump.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome officially aboard. I have used that excuse for about three or four of our vehicle purchases. Since we used it, I can't be hypocritical but in reality it is pretty lame. If you want a new one and have the money,,, by all means.