1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introducing EV_Cor

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Aug 16, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I want to introduce a long time associate from the Yahoo Group, "Prius_Technical_Stuff," an NHW11 rebuilder and hacker I've know for 5-8 years. EV_Cor's accomplishments include:
    • diagnosis and correction of an obscure connector transaxle problem on his first NHW11
    • building and testing of an NHW11 thermistor hack using two transistors (which still has me baffled . . . I used a microprocessor and software)
    • buying an unusually failed NHW11 which he just recently returned to service after doing an engine swap and some traction battery rework . . . using NHW11 modules
    I mentioned this forum and group because I knew he had some left over parts from his most recent project. But I'm especially happy he has visited and offered some the same technical expertise I have found over the years at "Prius_Technical_Stuff."

I'm hoping Patrick Wong might also share why having EV_Cor here is welcome to the party. <grins>

Bob Wilson

ps. Did I mention he built his own EV?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that Cor has substantial NHW11 experience and am looking forward to his contributions and insights on PriusChat. I had met Cor several years ago during a visit to the SF Bay Area, where he lived at the time.

3. EV_Cor

EV_Cor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *blush* - Thanks for the flowers!
    I am humbled and certainly like to contribute my knowledge and experience to this community.
    As well as any spare parts from swapping a complete engine/transaxle combination into my car.
    I am again back in the SF Bay Area (in fact, in the same city) and that is why I also bought another 2002 - my wife loved that little old car so much (even though I originally bought it Salvage with serious front end damage, so I was not too worried about tearing into it & sharing what I found, after fixing the car up). My current 2002 is bought with the same premise - it was not running, so not too much lost when tearing into it, this time not just replacing front end body work and crushed fan & radiator, but replacing the engine and HV battery with a low mileage one from a local EV'er.
    Only problem is access to the car - most days I can't pry it out of my wife's hands.
    Only today I had a special reason to take it to work (for the first time since it was running) as the car had been parked non-running at work for several weeks while I was traveling (and I did not want to leave it on public street where it could get towed) so my colleagues had seen the non-running car, in fact one was so eager to reduce his fuel bill that he almost begged me to help him buy a Prius as well. I had found a local 2001 that was advertised as "not charging the aux battery" and also in rough cosmetic shape, but with new tires and otherwise running, so my colleague was overjoyed when I talked to the owner a couple times and convinced him that the $3500 for which he had try to sell the car unsuccessfully was unrealistic and with the known defects and possible slight frame damage from the caved-in door, it might not be worth more than $1500. To which he agreed and thus, taking my colleague in my Prius to his "new" Prius allowed us to swap aux battery while I kept my car running and my colleague could drive his back using my battery.
    Back at work we measured his Prius to properly charge the battery, so it might be that there was nothing wrong with the car other than the battery had gone really flat so it would not take a charge for 1/2 hour. I noticed that when I started recharging his battery on my lab supply set at 14V 10A that for the first half hour the battery was just building up the electrolyte enough to start taking the charge, only after 1/2 hour on the charger did the voltage go down to 12.4V at a constant 10A, indicating that the internal resistance of the aux battery had dropped enough to take a full charge again. 3 hours later the voltage finally had returned to 14V and the battery started occasionally burping a bit, so I turned the current down and soon my colleague came to take it and go home to show his wife the "new" car...

Prius_Cub and bwilson4web like this.