1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introducing Myself and Expressing My Joy of Hypermiling

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusMPGenius, Apr 15, 2019.

1. PriusMPGenius

PriusMPGenius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,

My name is Mark and I grew up in Michigan. I enjoy sports, music, film and hanging out with my family. This February I bought my first Prius. A 2014 Black Prius with Trim Level 3. It has the solar panel roof/AC feature and the moon roof. I just want to say I love my car. Yesterday I set my PR for Hypermiling from Woodstock, NY to Kingston, NY.

75.8 MPGs!!!!! It was a great day.

Burna J, jerrymildred, RMB and 2 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

our daughter weekends in kerhonkson, beautiful area. we love the kingston restaurants.

all the best!(y)

PriusMPGenius likes this.
  3. PriusMPGenius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thank you so much. We head out to Hot Shotz for some wings every now and then. Check out Cucina in Woodstock.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    will do, thanks!

5. PriusMPGenius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had a great day out on the road yesterday. Was coming back from Western Massachusetts to Kingston. Stunning views from the Berkshires. From the Lee Rest Area we took the Teconic Parkway. Pulled off 60.2 MPGS for 77 miles. I was doing a technique where I would cancel the cruise control down hills and build up some speed and momentum which I'd use to carry me up part of the hill and then turn the cruise control back on.

6. jadd806

jadd806 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Great numbers. I'm curious what speed you drive on highways with a 65 MPH speed limit like I-90.

The only time I've been able to break 60 MPG on a long highway drive was driving from central MA down to Narragansett, RI. I believe I posted 64 MPG on a drive close to 100 miles. Everything was in my favor - it was a warm summer day and traffic was moderately heavy such that the right lane was flowing around 55 MPH.

I commute 50 miles each way on I-495 in MA and I-95. When I'm driving for MPG I keep to the rightmost lane, usually with the cruise control set to 65-68 MPH (speed limit of 65). These speeds seem to cap me at about 55 MPG in the summer, though maybe once a week I'll get 60 MPG heading home if there's moderate traffic and I can drop the speed down without disrupting others.

Reason I ask about your speed (especially in MA) is that I am harassed by other drivers regularly - even when I'm keeping to the right lane, going at least the speed limit, and traffic is light enough that they could easily move around me without even having to wait for an opening. Lifted pickups and SUVs will choose to tailgate me or even have the audacity to flash me when there's 3 empty passing lanes to the left of me that they could just use to go around. I'm sure if I slowed down a bit I could break 60 MPG but I don't want to give these overcompensating road ragers any more reason to harass me.

Threej likes this.
  7. PriusMPGenius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, Jadd. Your note really resonated with me. The drivers in MA can be real jerks at times. On my trip out on Saturday I was driving by the Lee station and this BMW driver was entering the highway. I pulled over into the left lane to let the driver merge. This person proceeded to speed up not letting me back over, and then cars in the fast lane quickly caught up to me and were zipping around me in the right lane, and one car was an inch off my bumper in the left lane the entire time. I had no way getting back over to the slow lane and just had to ride it out I was going about 67mph. I hate it and think the law enforcement in MA should crack down on tailgaiting. It infuriates me but I do encounter it frequently in MA.

Like you I go about 67mph. I just find it is safer and a comfortable speed for me to go. On the way back I really just worked the hills like I said. The Taconic is 55MPH so I was going about 55 - 60mph. I'd just turn off the cruise going down a hill get going fast and then use that power up the next hill. When I started losing speed I'd click the cruise control back on.

Mendel Leisk, jadd806 and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but it's the same from here to florida, from what i've observed. we are no longer uniquely obnoxious.:p

9. PriusMPGenius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Broke my record from the $5.00 Parking Lot in Woodstock to Rough Draft in Kingston. 78 MPG!!!

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad your having fun also, you'll eventually break into the 90s in no time. I can make it across town 8 miles with stoplights going 41 mph yielding 92.5 mpg. But wait til your in the oil catch can club, you'll be stoked. I'm a weekly member of the 600 mile club, below was Monday's work commute with only cruise control, no cars in front nor hills, just country roads.

IMG_1978.JPG

PriusMPGenius and RMB like this.
  11. PriusMPGenius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Wait, what is this oil catch can club?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does a 2014 qualify for the occc? got the updated rings, right?

PriusMPGenius, Grit and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    All Gen3’s are eligible;).

It’s up to the owners to fill out and complete their application:).

Price of admission varies by personal preferences (y).

14. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any gasoline engine that is with pcv that produces blow by is eligible.

PriusMPGenius and RMB like this.
  15. PriusMPGenius

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Anyone want to give me the basics on the OCC Club? I could google it but that's so impersonal and I'm here to chat and read your posts. I'd love to get the basics on this.

16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just search Oil Catch Can... It will lead you to it. :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. jadd806

jadd806 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hey Mark, I've been trying to slow down and "work the hills" a bit more during this week's commute and it's definitely improved my fuel economy. My commute is 54.4 miles each way. Monday I got 54 MPG, yesterday I got 56.6 MPG and today I got 62.2 MPG!

Today I found a Walmart truck chugging along at a steady 68 MPH and fell in a couple hundred feet behind him. I hate to call it "drafting" since I'm wary of getting too close to semis in case they kick up some road debris or blow a tire tread, but I definitely still got a small boost from following at a safe distance. Combined with working the hills, this got me a new personal best MPG for my commute route!

Several months ago I fell off the fuel economy train and I had noticed myself just setting the cruise control to 75 MPH more and more often - especially in the morning. It shows in my last 10 fuel ups, with an average of just 43 MPG (calculated at the pump). Thanks for inspiring me to give hypermiling another shot with some new techniques.

18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Very impressive, here are my recent results.

This morning's fuel consumption:
    70nog.JPG

Last week's tank:
    64mpglll.jpg

63 mpg average for the last 6 consecutive months w/winter blend gas.

RMB, jadd806 and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wait til you see the mpg from our Prime at the next meetup;).

You’ll be amazed:).

And it’s without too much effort(y).

RMB and Grit like this.
  20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Youre now hypermiling without even trying to hypermile. I won't be getting one anytime soon, Plan A is still buy a bachelor pad for myself.

Raytheeagle likes this.