1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introducing myself and my doubts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jlanrod, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Jlanrod

Jlanrod New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everybody,

I´m writing from Spain, where Prius is becoming the common choice for taxies but private owners are not very receptive about this kind of vehicles.

Now I´m facing the purchase of a new vehicle since my old renault is almost dead (expected and now that my wife is not reading: what a relief). Never had a worst experience with a car, for once that I gave a chance to other but a japanese.

Well, the fact is that among my options, it is the Prius, last version available, but there are certain concers that restrain me from purchasing it right now, and would like to ask for some answer if you are so kind.

My driving profile is as follows: total Km per year around 22.000km, driving mostly city or below 50 km stint, but once monthly I make 1.300 km in two leg (650 go and back). Usually I drive in a calm way, i.e., my speed is according to what road sign suggest, but when I make long stints, I can maintain +/- 140 km/h for a long period, let´s say 450 to 500 km. Sometimes must drive through old roads when it must be required passing by trucks or slower vehicles.

I have tested the prius but, of course, couldn´t test in those conventional roads nor take the test car for 500 km, so I don´t have feed back about those.

Anyone can help? what about the behaviour of the car? consumption? I assume it would be above 6 for long and fast stints. What´s the feeling of the car when driving at high speed? Reliability may be decreased for using the car this way?

Sorry for this long post, but I WANT to buy the prius but don´t want to waste the maney if this is not the best car for my driving routine. I know I can change my way of driving but spend 6 hours in a car driving at 120 km/h with two little kids in the rear seats is a high price to pay.

Thank you in advance for your answer that I hope would help me making decisions and beg your pardon for my english when applicable.

Regards

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Driven my Gen II Prius on 2 journeys in excess of 3,000km each way with no problem.
    Both trips I covered 1 way in under 36 hours including sleep and night driving at 80km/h. I didn't want to hit a kangaroo.

Yes a Prius will do 140km/h all day, even in 48 degrees celsius.
    As long as the size is right for you the Prius sounds like a great car for your use.

3. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

4. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A Prius shouold perform very well for you, especially if you drive amix of hilly and flat roads. Under normal driving conditions, Prius suspension will perform very good and the fuel/emissions results are excellent. The only other issue is to decide whether the interior seating and cargo room is adequate, but I'm certain it is based on what you've said.

Happy Motoring,

Tom

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A Prius should be great for you in Spain as they operate better in warmer climates.

I am a UK taxi driver that has changed from a Peugeot 406 diesel to the 2009 Prius 1.8 and I would never go back!

The fuel economy average for my last 12 months is 49 uk mpg or 5.8litres /100 km. Not bad considering I sit in traffic a lot of the time. I have had runs where I have got up well over 70 mpg UK.

The car is performing well and has now reached 37,000 miles or 60,000 km in just over a year.

See if you can arrange an extended test drive from your local dealers to see if you like the car. It's a smooth, quiet, relaxing drive, rather than an 'enthusiastic' drive.

6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hola, Jlanrod

That is the profile I have, with autopista on weekend and urban driving during week here in Portugal. Prius is proving very adequate! Average 4,9 l/100 in 16500km driven. At 140km/h you should expect 6l/100, but urban can give you 4,5l.
    The 130cv are there for use! And they show themselves without changing gear, you only have to floor the accelerator pedal.
    I only regret 17" wheels, which are not so comfortable.
    As Grumpy said, no way a turbodiesel can give you a more relax drive than Prius.

7. theMisFitCrazy8

theMisFitCrazy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO, southern europe drivers like Spanish and Portuguese, are addicted to change gears, and generally do not like the idea of owning a AT car. Well, the E-CVT (the pearl of the HSD) performs way better than any AT, and is much practical than the "must-change" Manual transmission, and does not have a clutch.
    It will take some time, but Spain is ahead of Portugal, because here even taxis are diesel, Mercedes, up to 90%. Not easy to find a Prius taxi.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get a red prius so you can go driving with the bulls.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh yeah, it's Barcelona red. That's right up your alley!

11. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was looking at vacationing on Corsica this summer and was disappointed to find that the rental car company (Europcar) doesn't offer the Prius as an option.

Edit: At work so people are needing me for issues.

I drive mine about 5km to work and most of my trips are under 3 Km to 4 Km during the day and I can safely say that I'm getting around 4.9L/100Km. On longer trips highway trips of more than say 30Km running at 88.5 Kph I'm getting around 3.9L/100 Km or a little less.

12. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As much as I like my Prius, I'm not so sure that I would have purchased one if I had to put 2 little kids in the rear seat. If they are real small, not so much of a problem. But anything around 8 - 10 year olds, can start to be a problem. I understand why families have those SUVs. I guess you'll have to decide whether that's enough room in the back seat for your 2 kids.

Mike

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It all depends on 2 questions:

How much is gas going for in Spain?
    Is the answer to the previous question important to you?

I know that in some countries diesel is much less expensive than gasoline, so that may skew the math a little in favor of the small diesel cars there on the continent, but here in the US, gas about the same as diesel---and both cost less than 1 EUR/Liter---and it makes good sense to buy a Prius here
    In Spain I think it would make even better sense---IF gas and diesel are within about a euro of each other. The Prius is fairly dependable, it's very easy to park (Even for us Americans!) and it does have room for 4 and a little luggage.
    It's not quite the car I would pick for a car enthusiast, or someone with security issues---but the fact that you're asking the question leads me to believe that you're already interested in the car.

I would lease one for at least a day before plunking down 20,000+ Euros though---just to be sure.

Good Luck!

14. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Not sure that I understand this.
    My 6'3" (191cm) and 6'4" (193cm) sons fit in the backseat just fine with lots of space between them.
    If the concern is separation between 8-10 year olds, cars any wider than the Prius are not a practical option in much of Europe.

5 people like this.
  15. Jlanrod

Jlanrod New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First of all, thank you very much for your answers. They are giving me the inputs requiered to make a good decisions.

In Spain prices for fuel are as follows:
    Petrol 1,254 €/litre
    Diesel 1,186 €/litre

As you can see, pretty much the same, and given that more than 60% sales are on diesel cars I guess that as it happen from ten years ´til today that the price gap was reduced from a 34% to that of today, soon we will see diesel more expensive or at least at same price.

My main concers now are on the driving experience.

ETC (SS) says: It's not quite the car I would pick for a car enthusiast, or someone with security issues

What does it means? Not safe enough? very boring driving?

Due to my own experience, I know in the States drivers don´t use to go as fast as we do in Europe, but does anybody has the experience of driving for a long run (4 hours) at 140 km/h? what were the feelings of the car?

One last issue is my concern about something I read at wikipedia referring to electromagnetic fields in the rear seats. Wikipedia is open so not all fonts are trustable, but what do you know about this?

Again, thank you very much for your answer, those I have and those that will come.

Regards from cold (but not so much) Spain

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just my opinion. There's driving and there's driving.
    I like heel-toe shifting, a real throttle, and transportation with a thrust to weight ratio that's a little bit better than an ox-cart.
    Like I said earlier....lease (rent) one for a week-end. Get to know each other a little bit before you commit to a long relationship.
    For some folks (Prius fanatics) it is love at first sight. For others (like me) it's more like an arranged marriage.
    I'll let you figure out the 'security issues' comment on your own. :D

Speaking of security issues....
    Listen to me on this.
    Like I always tell people.....I don't own 'my' Prius. It's a company car, so I don't have a $30,000 reason to like or dislike the car.

Electromagnetism in the rear seat is a non-issue. It's bunk, Don't worry about it....especially if you use a cell phone or listen to audio with headphones.
    If you're worried about things like this, then you need to move into the country, grow your own food, live without electricity, and NEVER drive anything.
    But really....it's a non-issue for the Prius!

17. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mike, my kids are 10 & 16 and say they have plenty of room in the back seat. I find the leg room back there to be very good. My 10 year old sat in the back seat of a Volt and commented on how little leg room there was compared to our Prius.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius is more like a driving appliance than it is a road car IMHO. There is nothing really at all that is sporting or engaging about how a Prius drives, other than trying to obtain the best fuel mileage.

It will certainly do 140 KPH...but mileage will suffer...and if I were going to be in a scenario where I was navigating curves there are other cars I'd rather be in.

I have a buddy who has one (my wife primarily drives ours) and he puts it best...its kind of like driving a refrigerator.

Thats not to say it isn't the right car for you, in your typical city routine it'll be great, especially the Gen III since its so much more comfortable to sit in than the Gen II. But on that high speed trip, it'll be safe...but it won't be engaging or particularly enjoyable to drive.

19. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll put it in a European way - The Prius rear leg room is MUCH larger than other cars in its class. The very latest Mondeo is about the same and the Skoda Superb has more, but most other cars have less, much less.

The Prius is deceiving in that it looks smaller than it actually is. It looks similar to a Ford Focus size wise but is equal to an Avensis.

Go test drive a Prius and take your kids along - they'll love it and appreciate the technology.

20. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, my issue is when putting a couple of 8-10 year olds in the back of a car, it seems like they never have enough space between them. The OP made a reference to it, and it looked like everybody bypassed the issue. I've put tall/big people in my Prius, no problem. Except, ever put 2 adults who hate each other in the back of a car? Again, not enough room.

But if there is no other practical option in Europe, then there is no other practical option. My only point was that if the OP thought he needed more space in the back for the kids, he might look elsewhere (if he could find such a car).

Mike