1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introducing the Wisconsin State Local Forum

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jan 13, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This forum has been set up to hold information about local gatherings or other goings in the cheese-bound state of Wisconsin. The Madison group and the Milwaukee group have been very active but until now really had nowhere on Priuschat to specifically post their information.

Enjoy!

tgpii likes this.
  2. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hey to all! I'm a newbie here and not sure that I'm doing things proper. (feel free to guide me) I got new TOY for Xmas (TOYota that is) I bought a used 2005 white Prius. My main motivation was to use it on a rural mail route. Another carrier has proved to me it is THE way to go. Please let me know how to join other groups in WI, etc. I just received an EV mode kit from Coastal and look foward to installing it soon. Timm in Spring Green. :D
    [attachmentid=6234]

Attached Files:

3. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sweet! A mail carrier Prius.

Welcome to Priuschat!

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for setting this up Tony.
    Do you need a co-moderator for this forum? If so... sign me up.

5. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timm @ Jan 13 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]375196[/snapback]</div>
    Timm,
    Dang. Just missed you! 18 of us just met in Madison today and had fun exchanging hybrid stories and suggestions. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll be sure to inform you of future Madison Hybrid Group events.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    nice!

we were in la crosse yesterday and today, too bad.

anyway while we're at the home of beer, cheese and the world's largest 6 pack...

GO BUCKY GO!!! :D

[​IMG]

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ericbecky @ Jan 13 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]375300[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Eric. I already had an offer to be the local Moderator but to be honest, there really is no moderation of the local groups necessary.

8. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've only had mine about 6 weeks, but I'm having fun & learning more about her every time I drive. I'm scheduled to be at the Milwaukee Auto Show, in the Milwaukee Hybrid Group's booth on Friday March 2 - hope to meet some more Wisconsin Prius owners (and wannabees).

9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jan 14 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]375492[/snapback]</div>
    That's good to hear. I look forward to linking up with more owners in Wisconsin!

10. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

11. Guest

Guest Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Jan 14 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]375496[/snapback]</div>
    I also have had mine for about 6 weeks and am just learning all the buttons and new things. The only thing that bothers me a little is the two wide posts on the front window which seems to cause blind spots when you make a left turn. Anybody else notice this? Nice to meet you Grandma.
    Mary

12. timm

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here's a couple pics of my "Little Snow Machine" as I deliver mail in rural Wisconsin after a 6 inch snowfall. It works great with just "All Season Firestones". I'm sure it would be better with snow tires, but I just bought this 2005 a couple weeks ago and these are the tires that were on it. I do keep a shovel and kitty litter in the storage compartment just in case, but I've not needed it. I'll share this tip... if you get stuck with ANY vehicle in mud or an icy surface and are not buried to the frame, just let most of the air (perhaps down to 20 lbs) out of the tires and crawl out like a Caterpillar! (then of course you refill the tires from the 12 volt compressor you ALWAYS have with ya)

Wish I could get a "Right Hand Drive" Prius for this job.

I've also installed the Coastal EV kit and can do several sections of my route on battery only as I move only a few feet from mailbox to mailbox.

Timm

Attached Files:

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Kewl Pics Timm, thanks for sharing them.

Sometimes when I get up early I see the paper boy doing his route with his dad in the drivers seat. They drive on the opposite side of the road so they can get access to the "paper box". I suspect the government doesn't allow you to do the same thing. What do you do then? Reach out the passenger window to access the mailbox? Just curious.

I agree that good tires are a must in Wisconsin during winter. I use Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds. They are simply amazing tires.

Cheers

14. timm

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 24 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]380197[/snapback]</div>
    I appreciate your curiosity. (I don't think what your paper boy's dad is doing is legal. :eek: ) US Postal Service Rural Mail Carriers are allowed to sit in the passenger seat to drive while doing their route. Therefore several things about the Prius make it a desirable buggy in addition to the incredible MPG. First off... Mail Carriers must have a vehicle that allows us to get our foot across to the accelerator and brake pedals. The Prius shifter being out of the way on the dash is great for this as opposed to a stick shift on the floor setup like the Ford Escape Hybrid. The Prius hatchback provides easy access for getting at stuff and there is plenty of room for mail and parcels with the rear seats folded down. You'll notice in the attached pics that I moved the center consul back about 6 inches to make more room for my leg. (Please forgive me for not cleaning the rubbers mats my wife got for me on Ebay before taking photos.) I'm a 54 y/o with 4 and 6 y/o sons and two dogs. At this point in time I just substitute a couple days a week, therefore I switch between hauling mail to hauling kids and dogs. The Prius is GREAT for this. Next week I hope to have my receiver hitch installed and plan to use the Prius to pull my little river boat instead of the gas guzzling Ford Expedition I've used for the last 6 years.

My free time is spent exploring, enjoying, preserving, and protecting our beautiful Lower Wisconsin State Riverway. You are ALL invited to come out and visit and we'll be glad to show you around... Driving on Scenic Byways, paddling, boating, hiking, camping, etc. Send a message to our Friends of the Lower WI Riverway email list to keep yourself informed about river related activities. Email: [email protected] Perhaps Prius lovers can explore the Riverway together this summer before or after the Hybrid event in Madison?

Attached Files:

15. timm

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I hope this WI forum does not become just "Timm's Blog" :blink: Your thoughts are welcomed.

Here are some pics of my Coastal Hitch installed. I welded a support to make it a threepoint hitch that will hopefully be more durable in pulling my riverboat around. I've ordered the Draw-Tite "Camry" wiring set as advised elsewhere in Priuschat and plan to install that soon.
    [attachmentid=6430]

Attached Files:

16. peternlori

peternlori New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timm @ Jan 24 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]380380[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Timm @ Jan 24 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]380380[/snapback]</div>

Hi Timm, My husband and I are buying our first Prius, a 2007 pkg. #3. After much research we feel this is a good investment. I do a paper route. Have for 8 years. Have had good luck with Saturns! (engine and transmission-wise) Anyway, I only avg. about 17mpg (2000 LSeries)-21mpg(1997 LS2). Now that you have had time to break in your Prius, are you getting the estimated mpg? My thinking is that it would be better than average. Here's hoping!!! Let me know. I am excited about our new car. Have to drive to Georgia from Northern Tennessee to get what we wanted. But that's OK. They are selling like hotcakes right now with gas hovering around $3 a gal. We pick it up on Sept. 1st. Can't wait!

17. timm

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi Timm, My husband and I are buying our first Prius, a 2007 pkg. #3. After much research we feel this is a good investment. I do a paper route. Have for 8 years. Have had good luck with Saturns! (engine and transmission-wise) Anyway, I only avg. about 17mpg (2000 LSeries)-21mpg(1997 LS2). Now that you have had time to break in your Prius, are you getting the estimated mpg? My thinking is that it would be better than average. Here's hoping!!! Let me know. I am excited about our new car. Have to drive to Georgia from Northern Tennessee to get what we wanted. But that's OK. They are selling like hotcakes right now with gas hovering around $3 a gal. We pick it up on Sept. 1st. Can't wait![/font]
    [/quote]

Hey Lori,
    Sorry for the slow response time. I'm guilty of not checking in to Prius Chat for awhile. My summer days playing outdoors wear me out too much to be able to sit at the computer at night.
    YES! The Prius is a great workhorse in my opinion. I immediately went from 8 mpg on the mail route with a Chrysler minivan to 38 mpg with the Prius. Lately I’ve achieved as high as 50 mpg when conditions allow me to run without the AC or heater. (I get 55 to 60 mpg with my normal driving) I do use the EV mode (I have the Coastal mod) when going the short distance from mailbox to mailbox on the few village streets on my route. I also save big bucks by not having to repair the brakes every 6k like I had to with the van. I highly recommend getting top notch tires and keeping the pressure high. I run 44/42 in my Michelins. Enjoy your new TOYota!
    Attached is a pic of my latest mod I use to get through the recently flooded roads we have around here. (Look at the lower rear) ;)

[attachmentid=10929][

Attached Files:

18. ggoetz1

ggoetz1 New Member

Well Timm It's all your fault. After talking with you I flew to Philly and bought a well used 2005 Prius with 95,000 miles on it. I start training at the post office Monday for Rural Carrier Assistant. I removed the console completely and will fab a lower profile padded replacement. I just bought a set of 195/65R/15 Blizzak's on rims that will go on the car for the snow season. My route will involve the Baraboo bluffs so it should be a good test of winter capabilities of the Prius. I got 51 MPG bringing it home. It went up a little driving the Chicago rush hour parking lot. I am thinking with the drivers side back seat back up and the drivers seat reclined completely I can make an easily removable mail platform that sits on top of the drivers seat.
    gggGary

19. timm

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gggGary @ Sep 29 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]519132[/snapback]</div>
    WOW! That's exciting news Gary! I think you'll be happier with the 2nd generation model than the 1st generation you were considering. The little buggies have proven to be excellent workhorses. YOU are now the FIFTH mail carrier I know of here in SW Wisconsin to put one into service. (I'm going to post some pics so you can see the different ways we've all modified the center console.)

You're welcome to come visit Chick and me in Arena and learn how we (True professionals ;) ) do things on our routes. (We take a break around 8:30am; good time to stop by) If nothing else... please send me some pics of your rig. I'm in the process preparing a photo set to share at our next Union meeting.

Timm

Here's the guy who started it all:

<div align="center">Rural Mail Carrier, Arena, WI, Chick's Prius...</div>
    <div align="center">[attachmentid=11763]</div>

<div align="center">Rural Mail Carrier, Cuba City, WI, Curt's Prius...</div>
    <div align="center">[attachmentid=11764]</div>

<div align="center">Rural Mail Carrier, Blue Mounds, WI, Jack's Prius...</div>
    <div align="center">[attachmentid=11765]</div>

Attached Files:

20. timm

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div align="center">Timm's Prius loaded and ready to deliver the U.S. Mail...</div>
    <div align="center">[attachmentid=11766]</div>

Attached Files: