1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Introduction, initial concerns (long)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by CaptainStarbuck, May 18, 2013.

1. CaptainStarbuck

CaptainStarbuck New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi - My wife and I are looking for a new car and Prius is at the top of our list. However, it's very possible (not firm) that we are not going to get Prius or even a hybrid, and I'll tell you why and hope to get constructive feedback. I admit that this is a bit of whining - :cry: - it comes from being exposed to TMI/TMO (Too Much Info / Too Many Options) and I present it here as an example of what newbs like us can go through when trying to evaluate this vehicle.

The car looks great though frankly most new cars look alike these days, so looks don't sway us. On the plus side, when EV/hybrids first came out they had the weird futuristic looking contours that made them stand out, and since most cars look like this now anyway, that look is common - no longer a plus nor a stigma. So we wouldn't get or reject a Prius based on its looks. (y)

The mileage and other specs are seriously compelling. We understand that we're going to pay a bit more for hybrid. On one hand we consider that a personal part of eco-responsibility, and we don't mind that. On the other hand average pricing seems to be just on the borderline of what we want to spend, and we're really hoping we're going to get "some" savings with such a purchase. With so many variables discussed here and elsewhere it's Extremely difficult to get compelling data on if or how much we stand to save. That makes a purchase decision difficult. :confused:

On price, we're pleased that this car is not outside the norm of gas-only vehicles - the days seem to be gone of hybrids being super expensive because they're a specialty item. That helps to keep this vehicle at the top of the list.

While this forum is a gold mine of information with hundreds of thousands of postings based on real world experience, on first readings I quickly came away from here believing that purchasing a Prius would be a Huge research project. :eek: Without understanding the details, pitfalls, and "things I should have known before I made the purchase", I'm getting the impression that we're going to be one of those people who make a purchase wearing rosy glasses, but something unexpected is going to cost us time and/or money later. I welcome research and I want to be an informed consumer, but for some of us, "The Prius" isn't going to be a focus of our lives, but just "the car". So while I do intend to do my homework and be an informed consumer, at some point I just want a vehicle with no surprises, gotchas, or "that really sux but they should have it fixed in a year or two...".

Just as a follow-on to that, when reading about other cars we see all kinds of surprises about tires having different sizes, expensive tires, and no spare tire. These are the kinds of unwelcome surprises that most people catch only after the purchase. Or things like having spark plugs in different places which require a major effort to change, or hoses that require removal of the manifold to access, or radios that require extraction of the entire dash - which then never quite sits right ever again. No, I haven't read any of this here yet because we've just begun to scratch the surface of this site, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did see this stuff, and this kind of stuff is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Going through this forum is an investment and an exercise, but I think it would be worth it to "someone", (perhaps Toyota? :rolleyes: ) to periodically summarize the good information here into a book (free or fee) to eliminate a lot of the hunt and peck research which makes a big purchase like this difficult.

Since 90% of our driving is local and only about 10 miles per day we're hoping to use almost exclusively electric, and therefore reap some benefits ($1000+/year?) on gas savings. It seems weird to me how tough it is to find a simple statement from Toyota or elsewhere about exactly what this and other driving patterns should cost on average.

We're in southern CA (Irvine area). It's seems weird that it's still a research project to find good data on current federal/state incentives. You'd think Toyota would lead with this kind of data.

And frankly, I'm still confused about the various generations of Prius, V vs IV or C, plugin vs not, and whether to get a 2012 for less or to get a 2013 or to wait a couple months for 2014 editions. Nothing speaks to us as "This is the best model that suits your driving pattern and life style". Like computer software, the newer versions of these vehicles address a lot of concerns from their immediate predecessors, and we don't want to buy into a known issue that might be addressed in a newer "release". I'm just saying that as a complete newcomer to this ecosystem its tough to acclimate and get a sense of the terrain - let alone survive or thrive.

So in summary - buying a Prius seems (arguably) tougher than buying another vehicle. :unsure: Navigating the volume of information and opinions is difficult. At some point (jokingly) we could just throw our hands up and go buy some gas guzzler because it's blue. That would be the extreme on the other side. What I'm saying is that we're looking for a good balance, where doing our due diligence will lead to a good purchase that we won't be sorry about later.

We're still working on it. Thanks for your time. I look forward to reading everything that every one of you have written here at least over the last year. ;) :notworthy:

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OK, I admit I read through this rather quickly but I never found one question mark in the whole thing. Seems to me you really looking for more of a "it's going to be OK" type of feedback. Guess what? The Prius family is a fine group of cars and everything is going to be OK. :D

Now lets whittle down your thoughts into specific questions. Should the first one be, "Do I want to go plug-in or not?" or do we start elsewhere?

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  4. CaptainStarbuck

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about this, I don't want to annoy any new friends with noob questions in the wrong place, so I'll try to find the right place and post. But if this is an OK board for noob questions, then sure, I'll focus a bit. Thanks!!

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You're in the newb forum, so this is the correct place to ask.

6. CaptainStarbuck

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I saw that thread, thanks, and that's a good example of TMI : there are 29 pages of data going back to 2008. For someone making a purchase now a lot of that is irrelevant. Starting around page 25 we find data from 2011. So does a noob read Everything and hope some of the data is still relevant until proven otherwise? In an open community where opinions are free and all it costs is our time to filter through it, many would say it's worth it to go through the old posts. But when we're talking about making a high-ticket purchase, for many people time is valuable I'd think there are many people who would be motivated to save us time so that we would be encouraged to spend more money. Again, I'll do the required reading but I'm looking for ways to just cut to the chase and get some solid information quickly.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  7. CaptainStarbuck

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    fotomoto, thanks for your patience - perhaps we can start with this:

Since 90% of our driving is local and only about 10 miles per day we're hoping to use almost exclusively electric, and therefore reap some benefits ($1000+/year?) on gas savings. Does that pattern make us an ideal candidate to save a bundle on gas? Or will we still consume a good amount of gas just to keep the battery charged? Of course we're not going to get anything for free: I'm wondering at what point the non-plugin Hybrid resorts to gas to recharge the battery beyond what braking provides.

Thanks!

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In a nutshell, plug-in work by first completely using up the battery charge and then running the gas engine (referred to as an ICE) to propel the car. It doesn't not recharge the battery back to full as that is cost prohibitive compared to plugging in. Once the charge is spent, the PIP reverts to standard hybrid mode and operates like any other of the Prius family.

PIP owners will give you a better idea on what a daily charge in California will cost. You will need to assess you typical daily electricity usage and see if adding a plug-in will put you over a base tier into much higher rates.

There is a PIP FAQ now: The one and only Prius Plug-in FAQ! | PriusChat It's only 6 pages so you should burn through it pretty quick.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First, I like my Prius v station wagon. Before that, I liked my Gen 2 Prius. However the Prius is not ideal in every situation so I want to post a note on how it can not be the ideal car, while this was written for the Gen 2, much applies to all Prius. The Plug In does from 6 to 13 miles without gas and may be your best choice.

considering a Prius | PriusChat

Now some good news. If you drive your Prius as you drove your previous car, you will get about twice the mileage. If you take time to learn special tricks you can get more, but you do not NEED to. It is permissible to keep your habits and "Just drive it". Over time you may learn some 'hypermileing' tricks but you never NEED to.

I recommend not worrying about mileage until the third tank, it is much more important to learn the controls and gauges. If you are in doubt, you can often rent a Prius at the dealer and get time to see if you like the fit and finish.

10. CaptainStarbuck

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doug - With apologies, note that I'm talking about the Non-plugin... though your comment wasn't wasted because we have been glancing at PIP too.

So not related to the electrics - I've been under the impression that the hybrid gas engine generally kicks-in at higher speeds. If most of our driving is slow, and stop and go in the city, I'm guessing there is some threshold battery level where gas comes into use to help top-off the battery to get us back on electric for these short trips. And with that pattern, does the consumer appreciate significant savings over an all-gas vehicle?

11. CaptainStarbuck

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo - Thanks. I have read a couple tricks, including not coasting, and getting to a higher acceleration quickly rather than gradually. We'll be happy to employ new habits for the best mileage.

A PIP with 6-13 miles could indeed be our ticket to saving gas. That opens the can of worms on chargers which we're going to try to avoid. Adding to the list of issues I cited in my original missive, we'd be concerned about permits, contractor costs, and the costs of L1 vs L2 vs L3 chargers.

Unless the pattern I describe here Really points to PIP, perhaps it would be best to stick to non EV here.

Thanks again!!!

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius is almost never all electric during warmup. It is running the gas engine continuously to get the catalyst warm so it does not pollute. (The Plug In is an exception, unless you start by going down a hill, it tries to start as an electric vehicle) I can get as much as a mile of electric range once I have been driving 20 miles and it is all warmed up, but not while it is cold. The gas engine HAS to run (except for the Plug In where it is 62 MPH) above just over 40 MPH, but at lower speeds it can be electric once it is warmed up, for about a mile.

You can idle all electric, steady cruising from 24 to 41 MPH can be all electric if warm.

But mostly you use the combined engine/electric to get better mileage. (My driving is almost all from 49 to 61 MPH, so I do not spend much time at 'all electric' speeds in a typical day)

13. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You should understand that a conventional, non-plug-in hybrid is, first and foremost, a gasoline powered car. All your forward motion comes from burning gasoline. Where the electric enters the picture is in helping the engine propel the car as efficiently as possible.
    As new owners we were/are enthralled by the car's ability to cruise through parking lots, etc without the engine running but that's not what makes these great.
    Honestly, apart from the smaller gasoline cost what I find best about my car is the relative serenity of having the car go silent when I'm sitting still in traffic, at a railroad crossing, etc. while still heating or cooling me as usual. My commute is much more comfortable and pleasant in my Prius.

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The good news for PIP owners is that the range is so short, the included (free) L1 cable will charge your car in about 3 hours, so unless you make multiple 10 mile trips in the same day, you never need to buy a L2 charger. (Leaf owners, in contrast need 20 hours to charge at L1, so even sitting over night does not guaranty a full charge, they need an L2 to take multiple 70 mile trips each day) While a L2 charger could shorten your charge time to under 90 minutes, it is not a necessity as the Prius is still a viable 50 MPG car even when you drain the battery.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rent one for a weekend.
    Drive it a bunch....day and night.
    THAT will eliminate most if not all of the ergonomic concerns that you might have with Priuses.

The rest?
    There are something like 100,234,123 (est.) stare-and compare posts featuring Priuses versus almost any other form of non-biped transportation...and you know what?
    For cost efficiency...they're pretty hard to beat if you keep and drive them for a while.
    If you're into the bunny-hugging thing then they're also probably close to the top of the heap.

That's it.
    If you're REALLY on the fence....then you can just use a binary decision maker.
    Just google "coin toss" for instructions on how to use one.

Good Luck!

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Consider the payback. Cost of the car to savings on fuel and maintenance. $33,200 "Plug-in" vs $28,900 "V" vs $25,000 "Regular" vs $19,900 "C". These are Base Model prices in your area for comparison and do not reflect TTL, negotiations, possible Tax incentives or Toll Tag savings (Plug-In).

I have a regular 2010 Prius II. My "out the door" car price was $23,500 (before mods) and my lifetime MPG is 49.8 with just over 50,000 miles. My daily work commute is appx. 55 miles, so your MPG would be close to or slightly lower with a daily of 10 miles as mpg increases after 3-5 mile warm up. Maintenance is considerably lower than the standard gas car, my reliability has been outstanding and it came with a spare...that has been used twice.

Hope my experience helps...for what it's worth.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! fly to new jersey, buy a pip for $26,000. and drive back to cali. you have the perfect drive for a pip, 10-15 miles all electric. best thing since sliced bread, all the best!(y)

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I must emphasize that these two item are incompatible:
    The non-plugins -- regular Liftback, 'c', and 'v' -- will not be going any significant distance using exclusively electric. They are gasoline cars, not electric cars, albeit the most efficient gasoline cars available. Their useful all-electric ranges will typically be measured in hundreds of yards, not miles, and that will be made up by burning gasoline later.

10 miles a day of electric use requires a plug-in car. PIP, Leaf, Volt, Tesla, etc. And this is on (and frequently over) the edge for a PIP, unless it it will be plugged in part way through the day while you are at work.

What is your typical annual driving distance in any one car?

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Electricity cost somewhere around 24 cents per kWhr (eg; California) is where elec EV costs about the same as gasoline at $4/gallon. Therefore, CA is not the best state for cheap EV plug-in fuel costs. Rather in CA you get good Plug-in incentives (HOV access and $$ back). If you want a no-nonsense, practical family car, arguably among the eco-cleanest on the planet, get a Prius Hybrid and forget about it.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome and Good Luck with your choice.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) is by far the most import thing to consider... because it will, not may.

Short trips were the killer, since the engine had to run a little bit for heat to cleanse emissions. That changed with the plug-in model, since it takes advantage of the electricity to lighten the load on the engine and it simply warms up faster. Then there's days like I had today... where I plugged back after lunch and did nothing but suburb driving. That resulted in 20 miles at 999 MPG.

You don't need to bother with a high-speed charger either. The one that comes with only takes 2 hours 20 minutes for a full recharge. That's I've been using at home for over a year now. It works fine.

Having owned each of the previous generations, there's a lot of other information I can share. But basically, it all boils down to saying that you'll get better efficiency & emissions than a traditional car... no plug or any change of driving needed. The system is realible. It works well. You'll be happy.