1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intruder jumps into my Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 12, 2010.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was driving up a one-lane, steep gravel mountain road yesterday and had just rounded a hairpin turn when out of the passenger side dash vent, out jumps a deer mouse.

It saw me <and I saw it>. I screamed. It dashed back through the vent and in a few seconds jumped out the driver's side vent. I screamed again:eek:

Nothing in the cabin or engine filters.

Three mousetraps, two on the floor and one on the dash, produced no results overnight!

2. samdaman

samdaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have had more than one field mouse nest in the cabin filter. It appears it is easy for them to get in somehow. What really bothers me is all the torn-up insulation they use to build the nest -- as in -- where are they getting >THAT< from, and what's going to not work quite right because of it...

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should be getting used to seeing them by now. :madgrin: :D

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It saw me <and I saw it>. It screamed and was scared like hell, It dashed back through the vent and in a few seconds jumped out the driver's side vent.

you probily wil never see it again.

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I did see it again. When I got home, I opened up the hood and standing along the back of the engine compartment on the plastic "tray" that rans across the length of the sheetmetal body work, just above the engine compartment, was a deer mouse.

Of course, can't be sure it was the same one. And it was cute. And I was tempted to grab it by it's tail since it seemed so surprised it was just standing there, but as I made my move, I stopped -- I've been bitten by them before....

So, it stood still for about 2-3 more seconds and then it ran back under that plastic screening below the windshield.

I put a trap up on the plastic tray piece and left it there for about five hours, but no bites....

It was so windy and rainy last night that about 10 pm I pulled out that trap and put it on the dash inside the car and closed the hood.

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's me, the one and original, but sometime last year the forum required you to use a password other than your user name. So, I made up a password and promptly forgot it.

So, I had to make up another username, so I got very creative with the second name. I even got more creative with the new password. So, if some of you are real good at hacking, you could probably guess my new password....does it have something to do with mice???

BTW, I got tired of trying to spray, screen and trap, so now I just have several of the black exterminator-type bait stations around. They do a good job, but I really don't like the concept.

Since I park my vehicle out in various woods and meadows in various locations nearly every day, who knows where my friend Mickey decided to hitch his ride yesterday.

8. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You made my day with that story. I actually chuckled out loud when reading it. I pictured myself in the same situation. I don't know if I would scream, but I would definitely be vocal.

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about a Jack Russell Terrier and a shop-vac?

10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I should add that I drove our old Corolla today. I didn't want to be driving the Prius and have Mickey to pop out and greet me as I was driving along. It was windy and very rainy.

After reaching my destination, I got out of the Corolla and noticed the windshield wipers were still on as I closed the door and walked away. Then I noticed the engine was still running.

I had put the transmission in first gear and set the parking brake, but forgot about doing anything with the key in the ignition, so I had left the car running. I guess I am too used to driving the Prius.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that you know your car has pets, maybe they won't be so scary. :)

I understand if you'd rather not take drastic measures with their removal, but somehow you need to keep them from getting in. Aside from scaring you and creating a dangerous situation, they can do some expensive damage.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the OP. You should work for CNN or ABC. Alarming headline, then to find out the story is just a mouse.

Also I know there is a degree of seriousness. The closest I've ever come to a major wreck was when I noticed the huge jumping spider that I thought was on the outside of the window...was actually on the inside of the window.

13. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

Perhaps if you leave a shredded copy of some of the news media reports about the Prius brakes, your mouse will decide to move into a safer car.

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so I was going to make a joke about a hamster-powered Prius but while doing a google image search for "hamster engine" a picture of my own car came up on page 4! Wth?

Here is the site it linked to:

wishbone clover: culture

I owned myself on this one. :(