1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter 1&2 MG 1&2 Temps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hdrygas, May 31, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have embarked on a project of recording the outside temp, Engine and Coolant temps and MG 1&2 and Inverter 1&2 temps, just to see how they do during the “summer†so I can compare them to the Winter when I have the radiator blocker on the car. I have a question and would like some input from others. To start with I have a data base on my Treo to record the data. I am using the CAN View for the data source. Nothing fancy. Since I am interested in the high temps I started to record the data on my commute when I stop at work or home. OK so far. The only problem with this is that at either end of each trip is a fair stretch of low speed that I usually do in stealth or EV, and I notice that the temperatures are all ready dropping as much as 10-15 degrees by the time I park and record the data. I really can not write anything down when driving. I could take a digital picture and look at it later for the high reading. What do you all think about how to do this to get an accurate picture of what the temps are and their range compared to the outside temp?

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

just a thought you could try a voice recorder of some sort. just speak the temps and then transcribe them latter.

3. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Doesn't CAN-View have the ability to Tx the data to rs232? Why not just log it via a computer...

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was not as clear as I could be in my question. Do I need to be exact on the highs, or are the values that I get when I park the car "adequate". My goal is to know if I may be overheating the system in the winter (that are often mild with varying temps) when I am all buttoned up.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there actually an *engine* temp vs. *coolant* temp? I thought
    there was only one thermistor, located in the left side of the head
    near where the coolant hose exits on its way to the valve and thermos
    tank, and that was taken by the ECUs as "engine temp". Where would
    the second thermistor be, both physically and on the EWD?
    _H*

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ May 31 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]263809[/snapback]</div>
    I am not at all sure. But on Can View they are different by a few degrees. The Coolant temp is almost always higher. Also that is the temp that you can rely on for being able to go into stealth. Below 160 no go above you can go into stealth. The temp labeled Engine temp is always 3-4 degrees lower at that point. Could there be one for the pump to the thermos or at the radiator? I am not sure but it is clear that the CAN Bus reports two separate temps.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

coolant thermos sensor is in the outlet of the thermos. Not too easy to see. But with the front bumper off there it is.
    Edit: there are actually 3 sensors the third is in the lower portion of the rad for the inverter and it controls the fan relay when the inverter coolant gets to high it triggers the relay which turns on I believe ( it's been a long time since I looked at the wiring diagram ) one of the two fans.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, okay, you're calling *that* the "coolant temp". That's sort of
    confusing, since the generic ECT comes from the one in the engine
    head and is technically reading the passing coolant as opposed to
    the temperature of the metal around it. The thermos one is generally
    referred to as the "CHS outlet temperature", or THW2, if you'd
    consider some clarified labeling for that... not your fault or
    Norm's, since the RM plays some games with nomenclature too.
    _H*

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 1 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]264021[/snapback]</div>
    C19 Coolant Heat Storage Tank Outlet Temp. Sensor. located in the outlet of the thermos
    E1 Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor. Located in the cylinder head.