1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Assembly and Hybrid Battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aussie girl02, Jul 29, 2020.

1. aussie girl02

aussie girl02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I became a first time Prius owner 4.5 yrs ago when my son had to upgrade to a 'family van' due to 3rd child coming. He gifted his '04 Prius to me - I moved from FL to NC to be near him and my grand kids.... less than a year later, my son was killed while riding his bike before work one morning.... I had lost not only my son but my main Prius consultant! Last week it threw codes while I was driving to work. I called the dealer and it was determined that IF it was running OK and I felt safe to do so, I could drive it the 2.5 miles back home which I did. I tried to start it later and the engine would not turn over. I had it towed to the dealer and after diagnostic, was told it needed a new inverter assembly for $5k. The car wasn't worth that except for sentimental reasons.... I searched and found repair shop that is certified and well experienced with hybrid cars - yeah! I decided to go the "used" part for the inverter assembly for $1600. I got a call today that the inverter only fixed part of the problem and that now the hybrid battery needs replaced which is quite pricey....

I don't know if it's wise to put nearly $5k total into an 04 Prius and was hoping some on here might have some sage advice for this frustrated and freaking out senior first time Prius owner.... In the Prius universe, does it make sense to invest this much in an '04 [mileage is 167k] or would it be advised to cut my loses and sell for salvage etc. Are there any other big money items that could go or are these two about it??

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

i would move on. depending on your financial condition, maybe look for a used corolla etc.

a diy'er would replace the inverter with a salvage for $200.

aussie girl02 likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @aussie girl02

I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. IMHO, if you were able to drive the car home 2.5 miles, there was nothing wrong with your inverter. I'd be willing to bet replacing it didn't fix ANY of the problem and they're just trying to cover their butt by saying that. Do you have any documentation from the diagnostics performed by the dealership?

Where are you located in NC?

I have sent you a PM with my contact information.

#3 TMR-JWAP, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    aussie girl02 and SFO like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. aussie girl02

aussie girl02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the information and heads up!