1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant, Classic Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gippah, Oct 17, 2007.

1. gippah

gippah New Member

Is it possible to check the inverter coolant level? If so, where is it located? What kind of fluid does it need?

If I were to change out the coolant entirely, what would the process be?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For both coolant loops, Toyota LLC is specified, and their SLLC is a suitable substitute. LLC has a 30k mile suggested life and SLLC, 50k miles. Thus it is common practice to drain/refill both loops at the same time.

For the inverter loop, the plastic tank high center near the windshield is your reservoir/level check. More subtle than fluid level. When the Prius is in 'ready', confirm that the fluid inside reservoir is being pumped and that the reservoir fluid level in towards the front of the car is distinctly higher (at least 1/2") than to the rear.

Draining the inverter coolant requires removing the correct bolt under the car. Refilling requires carefully bleeding air from the system with the two threaded stems (the ones you never knew what they were for).

I will wait till later to locate a good instruction set for this, hoping that someone else will post it first. Not all my Prius files are at hand.