1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Drip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frontporch, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got done replacing my transaxle and had the inverter out. I reinstalled and bled the coolant so it seems pretty good in terms of no more bubbling noises.

I noticed that when I lift the car on one side or in any way change its orientation, I get a coolant drip over the back part of the transaxle. I suspect it is coming from the overflow, but unfortunately have not verified that because I only realized how easy it was to get at the overflow hose from above.

I have been filling the reservoir to the F line, which appears to be very close to L. Is it normal for this reservoir to drip when it gets to the F line? I haven't gotten the car out yet, but when I do I will closely monitor this level. Just thought it was strange to drip so easily.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Something is wrong for you.

No leaks for me and level is at FULL mark.

Factor in the reality of roads (incline, decline, curved left, curved right, freeway offramps), and the fact that the fluid is moving around. Recheck your connections. Check the overflow for any cracks (hairline perhaps).

3. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough. I think I will attempt to catch fluid from the bottom of the overflow and if that is where the "leak" is then I must have a defective cap. There is no leakage when the system is running.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There was a thread here recently about an inverter coolant leak, which turned out to be the gasket between the reservoir and the inverter.