1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Leak: T-SB-0352-09

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed a TSB for 2010 models which the group might be interested in. The inverter coolant drain plug might not be properly torqued, which would lead to a coolant leak.

If you notice that the inverter reservoir coolant level is dropping, I suggest you look for a fluid leak at the drain plug and verify tightening torque, which should be 35 ft.-lb. Replenish coolant as needed with Toyota Super Long Life Coolant.

Note that the 2010 repair manual shows the drain plug tightening torque should be 29 ft.-lb (which is the same as Classic and 2G). I assume that the TSB was issued because 29 ft.-lb was found to be insufficient given field experience.

Attached Files:

12 people like this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! I will have to check that plug when I do the oil change in the future. Until then, I will just keep an eye on the level.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Have they changed the design of the plug between gen 2 and gen 3?

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This TSB is specific to the GenIII. If the GenII had problems, I guess not.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looking at the repair manual drawings, the plug seems to be the normal circular plug with a 10 mm hex hole.

However the transaxle case is certainly different. Maybe the aluminum wall thickness is less than 2G. I'd recommend caution when tightening these plugs, use a torque wrench for sure.

BTW, the 3G transaxle ATF fluid drain and fill plugs also require a 10 mm hex key. The 2G transaxle case had some plugs using the circular design while other plugs had a hex head requiring a 24 mm socket.

1 person likes this.
  6. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am curious how you came across this TSB. Is there a library of them for the 2010 model somewhere that you found it posted? Would be nice to have an on-line location where they are placed (by Toyota, or whoever) when developed that we, as DIY'ers, can check periodically.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    techinfo.toyota.com

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Part of the tsb refers to transaxle coolant drain plug. Is the inverter coolant not a separate drain?

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inverter and transaxle are both included in the same coolant loop. The coolant fill is performed at the reservoir adjacent to the inverter, while the drain is located at the bottom of the transaxle.

The engine coolant loop is separate and unrelated to the inverter/transaxle coolant loop.