1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter coolant milky

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by beef jiggles, Jul 2, 2022.

1. beef jiggles

beef jiggles Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    9E4464CD-DBE3-4FCA-98D7-7103A8B45EED.jpeg My coolant came out looking like this… what might be the cause?

#1 beef jiggles, Jul 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like what? A picture might help.

Either way, I can't see how anything besides dumping the wrong stuff in the tank would contaminate inverter coolant.

bisco likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's looks like an oil-coolant emulsion. I can't think of any reason for any type of oil based substance to get in the inverter cooling system unless someone added it. (Doesn't look like stop-leak or anything). Too much oil in a cooling system can attack and degrade rubber hoses and water pump seals.

Even if there was some kind of one in a million cracked transmission case, I wouldn't expect trans oil to get pushed into the coolant- rather the other way around. (Might want to check the trans oil level and condition anyway.)

It can be very difficult to clean oil out of a cooling system. Lots of water flushing, some gentle degreasers (Simple Green?), more flushing. Then refill with fresh Toyota pink coolant and bleed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe someone topped up with their milkshake in an emergency

5. beef jiggles

beef jiggles Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For all I know it’s whole cow’s milk from the factory in 2001.

I ran a hose through it for a while then cycled new Toyota pink coolant through after replacing the pump.

Was mostly curious if anyone had ever seen that before. It’s definitely oily.

bisco likes this.
  6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a diagram handy, but doesn't the inverter coolant loop also run through the transaxle case? Not sure that is the right term, the place where the two electric motors live. That is filled with an oily substance. If that was leaking into the coolant it might produce that milky white. More to the point, if the coolant was in turn leaking into the transaxle case that might be bad for the components located within. Especially if it chews up insulation, or causes spots to overheat.

Diagram here, that component underneath the inverter where a hose goes in and another comes out:

Inverter coolant and engine coolant flowing through the same radiator? | PriusChat

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I've seen it, just never in a Prius. Usually it's the result of a leaking oil or transmission cooler.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. beef jiggles

beef jiggles Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its usually the other way around, coolant is pressurized and transmission fluid is not. Have had that on multiple beaters in the past. Coolant always leaks into the transmission, not the other way around.

I'm guessing the 19 year old dumbass who sold me the car just put oil into the wrong reservoir.

Data Daedalus likes this.