1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Pump Failure..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hokie-Dave, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2007 Prius with 162k miles had an Inverter Coolant Pump Failure Monday 6.5 hours from home when my wife was driving it home from a trip. Red Triangle, (!), vsc, and check engine light. She was able to make it about 20 minutes to a dealer where it was diagnosed. Luckily no further damage was done to vehicle. Yes, she should have stopped but continued on since car was driving OK.

Dealer checked out car and noted that the coolant Pump failed and luckily mine wasn't replaced under warranty yet, so it was all covered. Only out $70 for a 2 day car rental and a days time to do a 13 hour road trip to go back and pick up the car after it was fixed.

Just a friendly reminder that if you have received the recall notice and not done anything about it, you might want to clear out that busy schedule (my reason) and just get it done even though the car is working fine at the moment. I'm lucky that my inverter did not get fried in the process (Big $$).

2. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    At least there is a happy ending! I remember getting the recall notice a couple years back on my 2007 but I thought it had an expiration date if you didn't do it in time, maybe it was pushed out?

3. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course, when the dealer replaced mine they forgot to plug it in - so we experienced the very failure the recall was supposed to prevent!

(So after you have this done, check your coolant reservoir for turbulence!)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all's well that ends well.

5. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Might want to head to the dealer and get it done. I guess it does not have an expiration date, but better to be safe than sorry. Luckily nothing else on my car was fried. I kept pushing it off due to not enough time to sit and have it done.

dave

6. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yikes! That is actually the first thing I did after leaving the dealership before heading on my journey home. That and check the oil.

dave

7. tommymommy

tommymommy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The SECOND inverter coolant pump failed today, on my 2007 Prius, while 70 miles from home. It was replaced, with the new style, under the recall about 5 years ago. I had purchased a couple of new ones, but had not put them on our cars yet, since all was running fine. So, I got to pay $585 at an Austin dealership to get my car back on the road. I thought replacing it with the new one was supposed to prevent this kind of thing. Guess they are only good for 3-5 years or about 60k miles?

#7 tommymommy, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  8. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you subscribe to Luscious Garage on Youtube they mention that they do several pumps a week in the San Fran area. The "new" design doesn't seem any more bullet-proof than the original. To me it would seem the frequency at which you change your invertor coolant would be the time to change the pump. The system is already devoid of SSLC and you are going to have to bleed the air out of it anyway. Why do it twice if you don't have to. Just one person's position I suppose.