1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant Reservoir cap

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WillLutz, Apr 5, 2024.

1. WillLutz

WillLutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I was replacing the 12v battery on my 2018 this week. While putting the terminals in I knocked off a little black plug covering from the inverter coolant reservoir. I cannot figure out for the life of me, what the thing is. I can't find any manual or post that gives it a name.

I attached a pic.

1. What is this thing called so I can find a replacement?
    2. Anyone know how much trouble I'm in because it fell off? I don't think I'm leaking inverter coolant.

Attached Files:

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    First, welcome to PriusChat.

What you knocked off appears to be a vent port on the low pressure side of the inverter coolant surge tank. It doesn't look like a fitting for a hose as the hard plastic vent is split along the bottom and has a black rubber cap in place to perhaps keep any coolant escaping there from spraying on the engine. Not sure what the temperature operating range of this coolant loop is, or if it actually becomes pressurized during use. I would make a close examination of the white plastic around the busted vent to make sure there aren't any cracks extending into the cap area that would allow coolant seepage. A replacement would likely consist of the entire tank and cap assembly, and as with other parts rather $$$. I would watch it for a while and make sure there isn't any pink crust forming around the area indicative of a leak.

3. Robert21PrimeLTD

Robert21PrimeLTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I HIGHLY recommend WeberAuto YouTube if you are interested in knowledge about your hybrid.

Doug McC and AzWxGuy like this.