1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by N3FOL, Nov 18, 2008.

1. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Prius is approaching 15K miles and I may need to top of my inverter coolant with the 'pink' stuff. The radiator fluid appears to be 'pink' as well, so I am assuming that these fluids are the same.

Do I need to buy the inverter coolant from my Toyota dealer that will cost more or is there a comparable or even better inverter coolant that someone can buy at Advance Auto parts store or Autozone? What is the preferred inverter coolant of Prius owners?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The correct coolant is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant. You can buy this only at a Toyota dealer's parts dept and the price is ~$20 per gallon. SLLC is premixed with water, so you just pour it in.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhh, if it needs topping off there must be a leak somewhere?

4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The level appears to be between the full and low with the power off. I hope there is no leak somewhere.

5. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i confused

where are you seeing this empty and full level?

if its just the reservoir tank then maybe you should probably just bring it to the dealer for the oil change when needed and they will top it off???

the level in reservoir tanks can increase or decrease depending on temperatures. as the car/inverter gets hotter it will draw from the reservoir tank.. i think it gets returned as the engine/inverter cools down.

if its been off for a while and it still reads empty in the reservoir tank, then u should top it off.

seems silly to purchase a gallon of toyota coolant when your toyota dealer will top off that fluid free of charge, when you bring it in for the next oil change

6. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I guess I am worrying too much at this point in time. My Prius only has 14K+ miles and looking at the inverter reservior, it looks to be fine and there is more than enough pink stuff in there. I do all of my oil changes and regular maintenance on my cars...I may just keep a closer eye on the level of the inverter coolant.

7. Suspenderman

Suspenderman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in the boonies a long way from the nearest dealer. Is this an ethyl glycol solution that a good brnad name,ie Prestone PreMix, would an acceptable replacement?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota repair manual states: "Only use 'Toyota Super Long Life Coolant', or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology."

So you can see that even the antifreeze is a hybrid design...

9. nthach

nthach New Member

Zerex now makes a coolant that is based on POAT chemistry that Toyota is using. Problem is, it's hard to find. DO NOT, under ANY circumstance use a "all makes/all models" coolant like Peak Long Life/Prestone/SuperTech or conventional green/silicated OAT coolants like Zerex/Peak green or G-05!!! If you're somewhere far from a Toyota dealer, just use water until you can get the right coolant - unless you're in the mountains with a risk of freezing temps...

Chessmaster likes this.