1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Cooler Pump — Aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fivel, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Fivel

Fivel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi All,
    Looking for informed perspectives on whether an aftermarket inverter cooler pump is an acceptable option. OEM is ~$120, aftermarket can be had for ~$30, so it seems at least worth considering. The only thread I've found on the issue is this one.

(Mine hasn't failed at the moment, but I'm just over 100,000 miles, so planning out some of the 100K maintenance tasks recommended around the forums.)

Thanks, as always.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do not replace an OEM pump with an aftermarket, especially when the OEM one is still working. There was a recall on this pump from Toyota, so your pump should not have 100k miles on it.

Buying an aftermarket $30 pump is like playing craps in Vegas. You don't really know the company that made the pump, you can get something decent or something that's completely shit. No real winner. $90 difference, a drop in the bucket nowadays with inflation costs for everything else

Raytheeagle and ydpplqbd like this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you do your own work on your car and putting in the pump is no big deal to you then go with the $30 one. Even if you have to put another one in prematurely, you'll still be spending 1/2 as much of a price as OEM.