1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter fluid change, should I

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by sabercat, Nov 25, 2010.

1. sabercat

sabercat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm getting some toyota fluid for the transaxle, and thought I should get some toyota 50/50 for the inverter and change that also. But after reading some topics/posts on here of the trouble getting the air out etc, should I do the change, I guess I need to ask, why do you change the inverter fluid, just to have fresh fluid in, like a guy would change the radiator fluid. Everthing is working great, flowing good in the tank, hate to do a change and have to mess around for a week getting the air out, or having to replace the pump.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Purging air out of the inverter just comes with the territory and is not that big of a deal. Two clear plastic tubes and a little wrench work and the inverter pump does most of the work. Then carry the left over fluid for a couple of days and top off the little tank if the level goes down and the problem is solved.

Bob Wilson

3. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My advice: If it ain't broke.....don't fix it!.:eek:

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Use an AirLift to bleed the system!!!!!

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since your car's model year is 2001, the original fluid was the red Toyota Long Life Coolant which should have been replaced at 30K mile intervals. If you use the pink Toyota Super Long Life Coolant then the service interval will be 50K miles.

The reason why it is necessary to replace the inverter/transaxle coolant is that the antifreeze has a limited service life. If you don't replace it, corrosion may form in the inverter cooling channels.

6. sabercat

sabercat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys, I'm going to go ahead and change it, got to dig up some hose, to use for bleeding it out.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There seem to be recommendations both for and against this approach, as seen in another thread, with some shops routinely using it (e.g. Art's Automotive) and others (like galaxee's DH and hobbit) advising against because of concerns that the inverter cooling loop might not be designed for such relative pressures.

I haven't seen any reports that the people doing it have had problems.

I actually now have an Air Lift myself. (Well, not an Air Lift air lift, but a venturi vacuum source and some stoppers and hose). And I still haven't decided whether I'll use it on the inverter loop or not. :confused:

-Chap

8. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are there photos/instructions of the inverter coolant change procedure online?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 'hobbit' link in the post above covers his pump replacement pretty well (drain coolant, switch pumps, refill coolant). If you skip the 'switch pumps' step it's a pretty good description of a coolant change, done without a vacuum tool.

Art's Automotive has a 30k service thread that describes a coolant change with a vacuum tool.

-Chap

10. sabercat

sabercat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I read hobbit's thread, very informative, anyway, it looked like he had only one bleed screw for the inverter coolant change, my 2001 has 2 of the bleeders. I would assume that I would have to bleed both, right?

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. 2G has one bleed screw and the inverter bleeding process is pretty easy.

Classic has two bleed screws and the process is more difficult. I recommend that 1) you measure the drained coolant so that you know how much you have to add before you can declare victory and 2) you listen to the sound of the inverter coolant pump and look at the fluid turbulence within the inverter coolant reservoir before you start the fluid change.

You'll need to bring the pump sound and fluid turbulence back to the original levels, before you can say you are done. If you hit a plateau where your bleeding efforts don't seem to be doing much, try driving the car around the block, then resume your bleeding activity.

12. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I can tell from the photos, the "Hobbit" link details the inverter coolant replacement on a gen 2. I don't see the Gen 1 transaxle pan.

Also, my car has about 160,000 on the original inverter coolant pump. What is the part number for a new pump, and is it behind the left headlight as shown in the link?

13. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, my serpentine belt needs replacement. I'm thinking of doing the water pump at the same time, but again, I want to see pictures before I start taking stuff apart. Any links?