1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter fluid change WIN but with question...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Jan 2, 2013.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone,

So I changed the inverter fluid in our 2008 Prius. It had about 100,000 miles on it and I got the stuff together to get it. I am posting this to help others out and to get a few things answered.

The first thing that I noted is that the drain plug was VERY hard to get off. I had to use a very long breaker bar (~ 24"). Once the seal broke it came off with out a problem. I have attached a picture with the plug reinstalled with a new washer from the dealer at torqued to 29 Ft/lbs.

Note that there are 2 lines on the housing. A green line to the right on the picture and a black line. There is also a black line on the plug bolt to the left of the black line of the housing. Initially these black lines were lined up before I took out the plug. After torquing to the specs they don't line up now. The washer gasket was the same thickness as the one I took out on visual inspection.

My gut thinks that they should be aligned, but the head says go with what the torque wrench says. Anyone else noticed this?

I also am including how much fluid came out from the drain so others can see what I got. About 2.2 liters.

Also how I attached some vinyl tubing (it was a little too big) to the bleeder valve.

Finally here is a little video of the sounds and noise when starting up the pump after refilling the system. Not the best annotated film, but hopefully someone will use it.

Let me know if you think the drain plug alignment seems correct. I drove it around town and for about 20 miles so far no problems.

Thanks
    -S

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would rely upon the torque wrench, if it is reasonably calibrated.

Regarding your little movie, it was not obvious to me whether you got rid of the air bubbling noise by the end. If still present, you'll need to work on that.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use a very cheap alternative to a breaker bar. I have a standard 12 inch breaker bar but also bought an 8 foot 1 inch emt pipe at Home D. Its like $5. This is an electro metallic pipe used in electric wire commercial installs. I cut that pipe up into various lengths and slide it over the end of the breaker bar. You'd be surprised how it helps. When I did a wheel bearing change on my cop car it took a 6 foot piece as the 32 mm nut is on at 225 ft-lbs. It was a breeze.

And yes everything under the car is really really socked on. The trans fluid fill hole is fun too. That took a 20 inch pipe.