1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter fried in 2010 Prius in Ottawa Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by OttawaCanada2010Prius, Dec 28, 2015.

1. OttawaCanada2010Prius

OttawaCanada2010Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Got the Check Hybrid System message when I returned to my car after work. It was a mild day (0 degrees Celsius) on Dec 14th 2015. Towed my Prius to the dealership. They checked things out, a representative was apparently on hand, and said the 'junction box' was split in two and was a $750 part. Service said they would also replace the computer for free thinking it would also be affected. Parts were ordered but took a week to arrive, just before Xmas. Parts installed but it seems they were not the cause. Inverter is shot. I had brought the car in for the recall and reprogramming was done.
    Had to rent a car...
    So now I am waiting for a new inverter. It's been over a week and no way to know if the part is on it's way. Am told the dealer will 'try' to have Toyota Canada cover the inverter. I am wondering if I will be on the hook for the 'junction box' ? Seems to me all these problems are related to the recall and failure of the inverter (IPM)...
    Thoughts ?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the km's. If you're under 160,000 km's, I'm thinking you should be ok, it's part of the hybrid system warranty, still covered? From page 7 of Owner's Manual Supplement:

Capture.JPG

If the above applies: seems like the dealership has really dropped the ball. They're saying they're going to try to get goodwill from Toyota Canada? When it's warrantied?

I'm not sure what those other parts were, but hopefully you can be reimbursed on that, perhaps all of it is in the "hybrid-related" category?

Andyprius1 likes this.
  3. OttawaCanada2010Prius

OttawaCanada2010Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you for the info. It will give me the information to argue my case. My car has 100K Kms on it. I am thinking that all the repairs to be done should be covered under the warranty now. The 'junction block' and the inverter are all related to the hybrid system. Also, I read that the towing to the dealership is also covered.

Thanks for replying.

P.S. The inverter finally arrived and is being installed today 16 days after the incident...I will update on the cost...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

5. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From memory, I thought the recall included a "forever" warranty on the inverter. Most received a letter from Toyota stating this about 6 months after the recall was performed. Suggest searching the forums for info to present to the dealer.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That mighta been just in the 'States? At any rate, think the original warranty should still be in effect.

7. Hlfxprius

Hlfxprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did Toyota Canada end up covering it for you? I am in the same situation with my 2010 Prius and awaiting Toyota Canada to make a decision on whether they will cover it (recall was done)

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The inverter warranty extension also applies to Canada. I got the letter.

You should also be covered.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just now I assume?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't it expire this month?

11. Hlfxprius

Hlfxprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just got that word Toyota Canada is covering mine (2010 Prius with 207,000KM) , however the dealership told me the warranty on the inverter was never extended to Canada and Toyota Canada is doing it as a special exception for me. Seems strange, no one at the dealership seems to know much. However now waiting on my inverter which is apparently back ordered from Japan, they initially told me could be 2 - 3 months before part comes in, but called me back today and are now saying they are hoping to have it Monday.

#11 Hlfxprius, May 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2018
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great news!

13. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Sounds like most dealers ("I know NOTHING!!"). Love the comment "not covered in Canada" when I got a letter saying it was!

14. Hlfxprius

Hlfxprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Any chance you still have a copy of the letter, I'd love to show it to the dealership to see what they say. I'm sure they've told other Prius owners the same thing and only reason I got it covered is because I didn't give up.

15. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Long since "recycled". The dealer knows the letter went out. They're just playing "stupid", though I suspect it's easy (comes naturally).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked for my letter. It does expire this month* but it's actually an EGR Valve Assembly warranty enhancement, not an inverter.

*Primary coverage expires this month. Secondary coverage expires 10 years/240,000km after on-road/service date.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That I got; I'd actually near-forgot about it. It was a case of thanks-but-no-thanks though: I dove in and cleaned mine myself. @NutzAboutBolts was indespensible, both for how-to, and to help you gauge the complexity.

On the face of it it would seem foolhardy, to turn up your nose at a free offer. but it seems to me there's too many provisos to Toyota Canada's offer. And: it's a waste of energy and resources: the dealerships I assume would just replace parts, and all that's really needed is a little patient cleaning. And the install of an Oil Catch Can as well... :whistle:

Tideland Prius likes this.