1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter gone bad.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by toddbublitz, Dec 12, 2013.

1. toddbublitz

toddbublitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 Prius has 50,000 miles and my dealership says the inverter may have gone bad and the repair will be several thousand dollars (nearly the BlueBook value of the car). I'm awaiting their final diagnosis. If it is the inverter, it will not be worth replacing. I'm not going to spend $7000 to fix a car with a BlueBook value of $9000.

Has anyone else had an inverter go bad?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only inverter failures I have ever heard of were from abuse (no coolant or coolant pump malfunction during continued operation) or physical damage (rodents chewing wires, frontal accident, etc).

What are your symptoms, what are the codes, and why do they think it is the inverter. Posting all the codes is the best way to get help on this forum. If not listed on your dealer estimate, they should know and be able to tell you.

You can buy an inverter on eBay for $250 to $450: prius inverter | eBay

3. toddbublitz

toddbublitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got off the phone with the dealership with the final diagnosis.
    On Dec 6th (a very cold evening), the car would not start - very few lights came on in the dashboard. I attempted a jump start (which I had done once, years before). The car would not start, so I waited a few minutes and tried again. Not starting, but more lights in the dashboard. I "wiggled" the red jumper cable and caused a spark show and could see the fusible link burn out. Now the car had no life signs.
    Had it towed to the dealership:
    Replace Fusible Link = $100/parts +$348.88/labor
    Replace Battery = $207/parts+$58.88/labor
    Additional Diagnosis = $229.88
    Replace Converter Assembly = $520/parts+$528.99/labor
    Total = $2160.59

The dealership said that this specific part of the inverter, the "Converter Assembly" has just become available as a replacement part. As opposed to replacing the whole inverter. They said that my botched jump start probably fried the Converter Assembly.

The warranty (8 yrs / 100,000 mi) ran out 6 months ago...

Painful.....

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear it. Reversed jump starts are the main cause of inverter failure, if the fuses don't do the protection they are supposed to do. Don't be hard on yourself, you are by far not the first.

Where are you located? There may be an independent Prius shop that can do the work.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With the added information of a jump start, a fried inverter is very possible. Generally it is a poor connection (sparking) or more commonly reverse polarity. The fusible link blew as well which is current, not voltage so my guess is you had the cables backwards.

Buy a used inverter and have some shop put it in. They aren't that difficult, just observe the safety precautions and detailed instructions in the Toyota service manual.

This is why I am a huge fan of carrying these around in a prius:

[​IMG]

$35 would have saved you all of this trouble. The usual advice is never jump start a prius. But if you have to, these are perfect.

They do not conduct until a delay after being physically connected (no sparking). They are polarity independent and will connect the battery properly no matter which way you connect the wires or in what order (no reverse polarity).

Really they are good for any small car, but they work perfectly in the Prius since the "starting current" is so laughably low to flick a few relays and not chug over a motor with a starter.

6. toddbublitz

toddbublitz New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in Denver, CO.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model: