1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter on sale.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Godiva, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    inverters on sale.

[​IMG]

Inverter
    Run and recharge your 120v household appliances off your car's 12v lighter socket and/or directly from its battery.
    Converts your vehicle's 12v DC power to household 110/120v AC, and works whether your engine is running or not. For reliability and durability, each features Soft-Start Technology, short-circuit protection, fault-interrupter shock protection, automatic re-set; turbo heat-sink cooling, and noise-filter technology.

225-Watt Inverter (continuous) powers up to 2.0 amps. Single grounded AC outlet powers fans or game systems. 450-watt peak. LED power and fault indicators. Plugs into your vehicle's 12v socket. Includes clip adapter so you can power appliances directly from your vehicle's battery terminals.

400-Watt Inverter (continuous) powers up to 3.6 amps. Two grounded AC outlets power a small TV or radio. 800-watt peak. LED power and fault indicators. Plugs into your vehicle's 12v socket, or use the heavy-duty cable clamps for high-output direct-battery connection.

750-Watt Inverter (continuous) powers up to 6.8 amps. Two grounded AC outlets power a TV, stereo or laptop. 1500-watt peak. LED power and fault indicators. Heavy-duty cable clamps provide high-output direct-battery connection.

The three above are available and on sale. The one below isn't.

1000-Watt Inverter (continuous) powers up to 9.0 amps. Three grounded AC outlets power a TV, stereo, computer, small microwave. 2000-watt peak. High-surge capability. High-speed internal cooling fan. High/low voltage protection. Overload protection. Low-battery alarm and low-battery shutdown. Requires #3 AWG cable or larger (not included).

Are any of the first three any good? Would the fourth be better. Would running something the hooks directly to the battery rather than going through the cigarette lighter be better. I thought I read a thread about blowing the lighter socket out running too much power through it.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    These indeed are low prices for 200-400 watt, modified sine wave (MSW) inverters, Ms. Chocolate. I can't see much on google about MAXX inverters except that they are widely sold.

Non-technically, MSW means that not all plug-in power supplies will enjoy it. Can't say anything about your particular devices.

The Prius' accessory outlet fuse will certainly open about when the inverter sees a 150 watt external load, more or less. For anything larger, one needs to do some rewiring.

A small, pure sine wave inverter is available for $130:

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine_150.html

But there may be better prices elsewhere (ebay?)

If you want to 'go big', the Prius DC converter will provide about 1000 watts. MSW inverters of that size can be found for not much more than $100. Pure sine waves starting around $300. Elsewhere we have discussed how to protect the Prius' electrical system from these. If the main fuse opens, your car will not function.

A small inverter that will only pop the utility outlet fuse does not pose such a risk to Prius function.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a different unit that I keep in the car. It has a battery, inverter, air pump, jumper cables, light, and outlets. It can be charged from the car or any electrical outlet. I haven't tried to recharge it from the car or try to run any devices from it. I've only used it for a jump start and tire inflations and it has worked well enough.

4. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have one of these (750 W cont) that I bought in my pre-Prius days and did a fine job of running our fridge, freezer, and a couple of fans from a pair of marine deep-cycle batteries during some hard times in the 2004 hurricane season.

MSW will cause AC induction motors to run hotter and (personal experience) noisier. Allegedly, some laptop power supplies and other small cordless appliance chargers will not like (or even be fried by) MSW, although I've had no personal bad experiences in that department.