1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Pump Changed: AC blows COLD!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kammssss, Jul 2, 2011.

1. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Pri People,

Today I got the triangle of death on the dash, which is the Hybrid warning sign. I just left the stealership right now with it being replaced via recall. This is what happens when the inverter pump is dead: AC will blow warm even when you put it on 65F. I don't know the exact relationship with the inverter pump and AC. They must work together somehow because the AC is now FREAKING COLD. I live in Los Angeles and it was 102F on the drive back home. AC was set on 78 and on the second setting. I know the stealership didn't give a complimentary AC charge. Also, I noticed that the AC was blowing on the weak side a few weeks ago. I had to put it on 75F, and it was just the mid 90s. Maybe the inverter pump was not running at optimum level and consequently lowering the AC temperature. My car is an 05 with 186k. Anyone with similar experiences? Perhaps weak AC means your inverter pump is going dead...peace.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The AC compressor is electrically driven, supplied by the inverter. When the inverter overheats, the first thing it does is to stop supplying non-critical circuits. This also includes stopping charging the 12V battery btw.

2 people like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm no fan of dealerships but you could give them a little love after a free fix.

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    By way of Toyota Corporation! The dealership did not do it gratis.