1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Pump Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sissonsk, Jan 2, 2021.

1. sissonsk

sissonsk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Back in August 2020, I was driving my 2008 (150k miles) Prius at 70 mph down a freeway when the car shut down and the dash went dark. I managed to coast to a corner store where I looked for blown fuses. The AM2 fuse was blown and through a quick search, I discovered that the Inverter pump was shorted. I unplugged the pump and limped the 30 miles home. I got a pump through Advanced Auto and replacing it was easy. So, for 4 months (4k miles) the new pump worked fine until I tried to take the car on a short trip. The triangle of death popped up, the cruise control shut off and the A/C quit. It was raining heavily. I carefully drove back home, about 35 miles, and put my OBDII scanner on the car. I got the P0A93 code. I looked into the reservoir and there is no movement at all when the car is started. I hooked a multimeter set to read amps to where the inverter pump relay is. The pump made a loud whirring noise but still no movement in the reservoir. The meter read a steady 4.15 amps.

I want to replace the pump. I am going to check to see if the pump isn't clogged, although I don't see how as the coolant is clear.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably just a bad pump. It should have a warranty, just have to redo the work. If it fails again, then just buy a Toyota pump

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.