1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter pump replaced, durability question.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nfschlaack, Jul 4, 2010.

1. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK, I just had the inverter pump replaced and everything seems to be great again. Now for the silly question. Is it reasonable for me to have the mentality that my Prius is now not as invincible as it was before? I know this is more psychological than mechanical, but we're getting ready to put 2,000+ miles on it on a St. Louis to Albuquerque and wanted to get some non-psychological input.

Also, would a trans fluid change be a bad idea? Just turned 100K on her recently.

Many thanks. :car:

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wouldn't worry about overall durability. I have a 2005 that I plan to drive until the wheels fall off. Well, almost. :)

The inverter coolant pump has been identified as a weakness by the user community. Because of the scattered failure reports, some recommend replacing it as a preventive maintenance measure at around 100K miles or so. PC users Patrick Wong and Hobbit have posted on the subject and describe DIY change-out.

The transaxle should lead a long and healthy life, but I would change the fluid. Although Toyota doesn't include that in its recommendations, results of used fluid testing among DIYers, transaxle failures in the previous generation Prius (redesigned for the Gen II), and an abundance of caution suggest a change at around 60K miles. It is relatively easy to do even for the mechanically challenged like me. ;)

A good search should turn up discussions on both of these if you'd like more. (Sorry, don't have time to dig them up and link them at the moment.)

1 person likes this.
  3. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No worries Jim. I appreciate the reply. Think I'll just bite the bullet and get the trans fluid changed out since I exercise on the side of caution more times than not.

Thanks again.

Norm

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your first question is whether or not your car was damaged because the inverter coolant pump failed, I would say no. If the inverter was going to fail due to overheating, it would have already done so.

This is not to say that the car is "invincible", but it's reliability should not be impaired from where it had been prior to the inverter coolant pump failure.

An ATF transaxle fluid change is overdue at 100K miles, IMO.

5. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After checking the archives I found that I indeed did have the trans fluid changed out at 61K, but I very much appreciate everyones input.

Now it may be time for an accessories purchase! :usa2: