1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter pump: Tech left hose clamped!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EKIM, Jan 20, 2014.

1. EKIM

EKIM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm digging in to one of the Prii I have that was a former security vehicle, serviced only at the dealership (except for oil changes I believe). While looking under the hood (staring in disbelief at what I've gotten myself in to) I noticed vice-grip like clamp on the coolant line that leads from the inverter to the inverter pump. Could this have caused significant damage to any of the systems that I should investigate further? I notified the previous owner of my find and we are both curious if this may have contributed to its premature demise.

Digging through an old email, it appears the car was pulled from service at 225K miles for oil fouled plugs and intermittent misfires, codes P0300, P0301, P0302, and P0101 showed on ecm.

the car would not start because I suspect the HV battery was too dead. (sitting since June 2013). I've pulled the HV battery and between this one and one other I hope to put together a set of matching cells.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Back to that hose clamp and non-circulating inverter pump. What damage is that known to cause?

Thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the inverter coolant pump circulation was stopped, then the inverter may overheat. This would cause the Prius to stop running.

Normally no permanent damage would occur at that point. If the driver persisted in repeatedly trying to operate the car under those conditions, the inverter may be permanently damaged.

Since 225K miles is well past design end-of-life and especially considering the car has been idle for 7 months or so, I believe that it may become an exercise in futility for you to expect to get much further life out of the traction battery modules from that car.