1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter Service @ 30,000 miles for 2012 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bryan Porter, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Bryan Porter

Bryan Porter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2012 Prius Four, and came in to my dealer for my 30,000 mile service. In addition to the normal oil change, filter change, cabin filter and engine filter, they wanted me to spend $230.00 on something called an Inverter Service that I assume has something to do with the coolant for the inverter.

I looked in the Toyota Maintenance guide for my Prius, and it doesn't mention anything about the inverter other than checking its coolant levels.

I love my Prius. I'm happy to spend the money if this is a legitimate maintenance item, but based on his description of the problem it's intended to prevent ("Keeps the transistors from burning up under heavy acceleration") and its absence from the maintenance guide I'm assuming this isn't really necessary.

Insight appreciated! Thanks!

Bryan
    ==

2. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That has nothing to do with the recall/software update and everything to do with the dealers ability to fleece your wallet. Respectfully decline and tell them to do the required maintenance items. While you're talking to them, ask them to show you in the maintenance manual where this service is required. That will shut them up!

snead_c likes this.
  3. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The amount of money they are charging you is a little high. Inverter fluid changes are not listed under maintenance, however, I would highly recommend it. But, I plan on waiting to 50,000 or 60,000 miles before my first change. I would however recommend that you have your transaxle oil changed at 30,000 miles. I personally had my transaxle oil changed at 10,000. I plan on doing it again at 30,000 and then every 30,000 thereafter. Many discussions on the subject can be found on this site.

Good luck and kudos for you on maintaining your Prius!

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I suggest you tell them you will be taking your car else ware it they continue to recommend unneeded service. The service writer is on commission in most dealers. The higher the bill the more HE makes.

5. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    EChange the fluid at 100,000 miles. Doing it every 30k at a cost of 230 would cost over $1,500 over 200k miles almost the price of an invertor. For that kind of money they should give you a lifetime warranty no questions asked on the invertor.

You should let Toyota know they have dealers trying to sell safety recalls for 230$. I would also let the owner of the dealership know that you will be letting Toyota and the public that the dealership charges 230$ for a free SAFTEY RECALL. Could you please let us know the name of the dealer so we can never step foot into it?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    his description resembles the recall problem, not inverter fluid. is your car included in the recall?

7. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Never seen a recall that costs $230.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope, should be free and not include fluid change.

9. Shaun P.

Shaun P. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Dealer wants $515 for 30,000 mile Maintenance? Can someone please help me? I am at my wits end. I leased my 2012 Toyota Prius and it is now at the 30,000 "Service Required" as my console is screaming at me everytime I turn my car on. Where do I find out what actually is required and can I have it done elsewhere or do I have to have these items done at the dealership? I am afraid the warranty will be void if I don't have all these things performed by a Toyota dealer!! I DO NOT have $515 to do a service on my car right now!! I am not driving my car now because I am afraid the mileage is going to go too high above the 30,000 and they void my warranty!! HELP PLEASE!!

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To the OP: this sounds really dodgy. The description in brackets seems to be describing the latest recall procedure, which is free. Discuss it with them, if they continue to BS look around for another dealership (if possible), and email Toyota.

Shaun P. likes this.
  11. Shaun P.

Shaun P. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The "Service Required" comes up on my dash whenever service is needed. It has done it from day one, every 5000 miles. I am aware of the recall and haven't even dealt with that yet, but will. I just wanted to know if I would be OK just to get the oil changed for now and possibly the tires rotated elsewhere? Funny, in the Warranty and Maintenance Guide it isn't clear what is required and what is optional. :(

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, you don't have to pay the dealer $500 to have it done by them.
    Yes, the car documentation clearly states what should be done at 30,000 miles.

Shaun P. likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you look at Page 41, Maintenance Log, 30,000 miles or 36 months? Beyond the usual stuff, it is mostly changing all the air filters, inspect all fluid levels and conditions, and a number of other inspections.

You can look at the dealer's list, decline all 'services' not shown on that page, and get the price way down.

Their 'job' is to upsell you with more services to boost their overall shop profit. Your 'job' is to decline all the upsell extras.

#13 fuzzy1, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Shaun P. and DadofHedgehog like this.
  14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One word... Stealership.

Shaun P. likes this.
  15. Shaun P.

Shaun P. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you all, I have decided to just got to a local Midas and have the oil & filter changed (synthetic oil only), have the tires rotated and have an alignment done. All the other things listed just said inspect this, inspect that, check this, check that. I sincerely appreciate all of your help and replies. Cheers to you all. :):)

spiderman likes this.
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car is leased, just follow what's in the manual, nothing more. I would just do an oil change and go on with my business. no alignment unless your car has issues tracking straight.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Add the air filter, though that is easy to do yourself. And as JC said, delete the alignment unless you have a specific performance reason to want it.