1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inverter water pump recall? Needs another recall!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Akemit310, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Akemit310

Akemit310 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Less than 6 months ago Miller Toyota in C.C. Changed my inverter water pump due to the recall. Friday i was driving and 4 warning lights came on 1. Red triangle 2. Engine light 3.vsu 4. Tire pressure. I was in the area i took it back to miller toyota. They ran a diagnostic and said that my engine water pump, hybrid water pump( inverter pump) and my ac batterie needed to be replaced all for a whopping $1300+ . Since the inverter water pump was fixed less than 6 months ago i guess toyota conciders this still under warrenty and said theynwould fix it for free. The batterey and engine water i was going to take somewhere else. I drop my prius off at 8 am did not hear back untill 5:30 with only to hear that i now needed to have a rusted connector and harnees to be replaced at $360. I need to know are all or any of these problems due to a bad replacement job of my first inverter pump recall job?

Somebody please help M Miller Toyota are robbing me blind :(

2. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My inverter pump was also replaced, then one week later all the warning lights came on. It was the water pump; the service person did not secure the connector. Toyota paid all resultant costs. Talk to Toyota directly.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The odds of these three items failing at the same time is vanishingly small. Some common cause is behind the reported failure. The common cause is most likely the corroded wiring harness or failing 12V battery. I will be really surprised if there is anything wrong with the two cooling pumps.

Tom

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Parts carry a 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty. The inverter cooling system problem, whether it be a bad pump, air in the system, or a leak at the drain plug, should be a free fix. Insist on it!

Good plan, to go elsewhere for the 12V battery and engine water pump, though it is still going to set you back $500+ no matter what. You might try a trickle charge on the 12V battery, as usually it goes flat while trying to keep the car running when you get the inverter cooling red triangle.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A high fraction of older Prii have a leak in the engine water pump. This didn't cause the triangle warning, but it something that techs watch for and recommend replacement -- it is an easy two hour job.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get some codes and sub codes from the dealer on the so called bad HV Battery and let the forum know.